Saturday, July 03, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Ron and Bill 1965 - Pennsauken, New Jersey (after I moved into Bill's apartment)


On this summer day in 1964, at a gay bar on the corner of 15th and Spruce Streets in Philadelphia, PA I met Bill, my life partner.

Today we celebrate our 46th anniversary.  Since same sex couple are not allowed to marry in this country, most of us count as our anniversary the day we met.  Thus, July 3, 1964 is the date of our anniversary.

Bill and Ron July 2010 Milton, DE (our friend Bob C.'s backyard)

Perhaps someday in our lifetime we can officially get married.   Perhaps.  But for now I rejoice in the fact that I have been able to live the past forty six years of my life with this wonderful man who has always treated me like a prince.

Happy anniversary Bill.  I love you!

Bill and Ron 1964 Pennsauken, New Jersey (Bill's apartment)

Ron and Bill 1974 at our home on Naudain Street in Philadelphia, PA


Ron and Bill 1978 Downingtown, PA (at my parent's house)

Bill in Provincetown, Mass.. 1979 (he didn't want to be there)

Bill and Hamburger and Sparky in backyard of Naudain Street home 1976

Barbara and Bill 2009 at Covington Chase, DE

Jane, Bill and Barbara Covington Chase, DE 2009

The two old men - Bill and me at Home Depot - our second home 2010 - Domestic Bliss





14 comments:

  1. Well, Happy Anniversary and many more.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings tears, of joy, to my eyes. It's great to see so many photos of you and Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    You are a sweetheart. I'm glad we're friends.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kim. There have been a few "bumps" along the road but overall, it has been a good deal. I wouldn't have it any other way. I know you understand.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:05 PM

    Happy Anniversary Ron & Bill !!!
    May you celebrate many more years together.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Fran. We're shooting for 50 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lar. You and Lois are getting up there too aren't you? When is your anniversary?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats. Very cool photos. My favorite is Bill in Mass.
    It reminds me of the commercial when Robert Conrad dares everyone to knock the battery from his shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron,

    Our 49th is in September, which means next year we hit the Golden 50th.

    My parents just renewed their wedding vows at their church last month. Their church gave a nice reception-celebration for their 70th anniversary. It was very nice.

    Been making a lot of changes on my Blogs. Reexamining life as I enter my 7th decade.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liberty and Independence,

    Thank you for your good wishes. Interesting that you liked the photo of Bill in Mass. There is an interesting story behind that photo. Bill is a very private person (read "in the closet.") Back in my former life (when I made a lot more money) I used to vacation in Provincetown, Mass every summer, sometimes several times during the season. I always went alone. Finally I talked Bill into going with me but he insisted on staying at the only straight motel (Best Western) in P-town. He never left his room to go into town and "mingle." I finally convinced him to go outside so I could take his picture. He reluctantly consented, none to happy to be in a gay resort. He has never returned. We're doing fine though. :) You see, sometimes relationships, gay or straight, are not what they seem to be on the surface. The reality is always more complicated. I'm sure you know this already. Thanks again for your generous comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that I'm late but Happy Anniversary anyway.
    I really did love that Post. I loved seeing all of those old pictures. Fred and I catching up with you. We have 20 years under our belts. I agree with you and consider the day we met at our Anniversary. In fact, we were "married" in California two years back and just on Wednesday, I forgot that Anniversary. I know, pretty bad, huh?
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mark,

    Thank you for your good wishes.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:03 PM

    there is always something interesting on this blog

    ReplyDelete