Friday, July 09, 2010

The Bearded One

July 9, 2010 - with the beard


The beard is back!

A week ago I took the advice of a friend of mine and shaved off my beard.  My beard is almost all white.  Everyone was telling me I looked like an old man with the white beard.  Well, uh.....I am an old man.  I will be 69 years old this November.  There is no getting around that fact.  But, if I can shave a few years off of my visage why not.  What's good enough for Joan Rivers is certainly good enough for me.

So I shaved it off.  I didn't like what was hidden beneath my beard for the past thirty or so years.  There was an OLD MAN with jowls (JOWLS!) beneath that beard.  Oh no, this would do at all.

June 28, 2010 - without the beard


No I was a pale faced white OLD MAN.  I noticed that people didn't seem to pay as much attention to me. I don't know if this was my imagination for what was really happening.  I suspect it was a little bit of both.

So I decided to grow it back.  It doesn't take me long to grow a beard.  I can get a good growth in seven to ten days.  The only thing is that my beard comes in almost all white.  I can count the dark brown whiskers. There just aren't that many folks.  My mustache is still dark brown with a few white hairs but the beard on my chin?  All white baby.  ALL WHITE.

No, this wouldn't do at all.  Plus, I am getting hounded daily by my partner to grow my beard back and color it.  He says my beard takes years off of my face.  Plus, my dark beard brings out the blue in my eyes in addition to framing my narrow face.   Without a beard or a white beard, my face seems to fade in the background.

Yesterday I noticed that I had enough stubble to color it.  I got out my Just For Men and applied the medium dark brown (Just For Men is very good with the subtle shades) and applied it to my newly grown beard.  Viola!  The Old Ron (or Young Ron) is back!

Sure, I have more wrinkles (living baby, living) and less hair that I did 20 or 30 years ago but I still have the same panache with my dark beard now that I had back in my heyday.

So I go into work last night at the hotel with my new beard.  My new look was immediately noticed by my boss and co-workers.  He asked me if I colored my beard.  I told him that I "grew a new one."  He said "Uh huh.  It looks like you used Just For Men."  He had me.  My boss is only 30 years old and he has a reddish brown beard with nary a gray hair.  Just wait until his beard turns and it will.

I checked in my first guests.  I noticed that they took more notice of me unlike the guests I checked in the night before.  Those guests hardly paid attention to me.  that was because with my white stubble of a beard I was fading in the background.  Not now, I was out there with my restored Dark and Mysterious Look.  It felt good.

My surprised "Miss Richmond 1980" look (it's an inside joke) 


The beard stays.  That reminds me, I have to pick up some more Just For Men the next time I go to Walmart.

4 comments:

  1. I first grew a beard when I was 20 and have only shaved it off twice since then. And that was when I was 21 and 23, and both times I regretted it instantly. My wife who I've known for nearly 20 years has never seen my chin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    Some people are meant to have a beard. You are one of them. It is you. Interesting that your wife has never seen your chin. :)

    I've only shaved off my beard three times since I grew one in the 70's. I never liked what I saw. This time it stays until I kick the bucket.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete