Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The Philadelphia Flower Show

Yesterday morning Bob and I arrived early at the Delaware Tech campus in Georgetown. We were there to catch the Adult Plus+ bus that would take us to Philadelphia, PA and the Philadelphia Flower Show.



We didn’t have to wait too long until the bus arrived. We were among the first people on the bus. It didn’t take too long until the bus was full and we were on our way to Philadelphia under gray skies and dirty snow embanked roads.



Two and a half hours later our bus was winding its way through the traffic choked streets of center city Philadelphia. Our bus driver was looking for a place to discharge his bus load of senior citizens. We did have one four year old child on the bus. Oh yes, there’s always one grandparent that thinks their darling grandchild wants to see something like a flower show.



We disgorge from bus, which is much like getting off an airplane because you’re standing in the aisle and nobody is moving, and enter the Philadelphia Convention Center along with the other swollen masses of humanity.



Up the escalator to the second level where we hand over our tickets and get the back of our hand stamped so we can go out and then back into the flower show. The entrance of the flower show was crowded with many fine folks like ourselves eager to see, smell and experience the promise of spring after a long, hard, cold, snow slammed winter. This year Philadelphia set a new record for snowiest winter, 78.7 inches. The previous record was 65.5 inches, set in 1995-96.) Delaware also set a new record for snowiest winter. We had 72.7 inches. Our previous record was also in 1995-96.





Entering the flower show we were greeted by a gigantic arrangement of gaily, multicolored flowers. What struck me immediately was the heavenly aroma of the mixed scents of hyacinths, eucalyptus, daffodils and many other scents which I was not able to readily identify. I was lightheaded (more so than usual.)



My friend and I went with the river like flow of the crowd and viewed the many different displays. The theme of this year’s flower show was international. As in year’s past, the flower show was a grand display. Although the flower show was very crowded, this year we weren’t elbow to elbow with the crowd as we made our way past the exhibits.



Along with most of the rest of the flower show attendees, we took many pictures with our digital cameras. I also took several videos with my new Flip video camera to record the sounds as well as the sights of the flower show. It almost seemed like an Obama rally where just about everyone was holding up a digital camera taking pictures.



Just like Cinderalla, before we knew it, the hour was rapidly approaching the stroke of twelve. I had previously arranged with an old friend who I used to work with in Philadelphia to meet him for lunch at a small gay bar/restaurant that I used to go for lunch when I worked in Philadelphia. My friend and I left the Convention Center to traverse the maze of humanity and traffic clogged streets of center city Philadelphia to see if I could remember how to find my way to Woody’s Bar.



Exiting the Convention Center, we entered the world of traffic and pedestrian clogged streets, honking horns, cooing pigeons eating stale bread off the sidewalk someone had tossed to them earlier, and the typical cacophony of sounds of a major metropolitan city. I mentioned to my friend, “We’re not in Sussex County anymore.”



To be continued.

6 comments:

  1. I am a native Delawarean and reside in Kent County. My wife and I enjoy your posts and get a kick out of reading them. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    I'm surprised the traffic looks so sparse, both foot and vehicle.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lar,

    Actually, the traffic, both foot and vehicle wasn't sparse. After I posted the picture I realized that it did look sparse but I didn't think anyone would notice. I should have known better. :) Nothing gets by you. :)

    I'll send you a video of the usual traffic. I think the time I took the pictures there was a lull.....each time.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liberty and In Dependence,

    Thank you very much for your very generous comments. You have made my day. :)

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ron, thanks for changing your blog music. I like listening to it while I read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike,

    Thannks for the feedback on the music. Sometimes I get stuck on one song and leave it on too long. I'll change the music more often in the future.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete