Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Three Sons

My Mom and Pop, newlyweds, 1940

Ike and Betty (my parents) had three children, all boys. My Mom always wanted a girl. She was the youngest in her family and had lost her Mother when she wasn’t quite two years old. She grew up without a Mother and thus always wanted a girl of her own to make up for her lonely childhood.


Mom on the left with her two older brothers, Randy and George in 1928 - her older brothers tore the head off of her big doll later - Mom never forgot


My Mom got married when she was sixteen years old to an 18 year old transplanted hillbilly whose family immigrated to southern Chester County in 1930 to work picking fruit and vegetables on his Uncle Donald Byrd’s farm near Unionville, PA.


My dad's ID card from his job at Lukens Steel Co. 1941


The tall, young, blonde haired gangly man with the big smile she married was the fifth child of a family of eleven boys. There was a twelfth boy (a twin) who died at birth. My dad had ten brothers and no sisters.

The eleven Tipton Brothers at the Tipton Family Reunion, Downingtown, PA 1960



On November 9, 1941, I was the first born of my parents' three children. My Mother already had a girl’s name picked out for me (Louise, her middle name) if I was a girl. Since I wasn’t a girl so she named me after a popular movie star of the day, Ronald Coleman. My father wanted to name me after him, Isaac, but she thought “Isaac” was an ugly name. She told him “You’re not naming any of my children that ugly name.”

Ronald Colman the movie actor and baby Ron 1941


On April 8, 1943 my brother Isaac, Jr. was born. As you can surmise, my Mother relented in her opposition to the name “Isaac” and my father was able to name a son after him. In retrospect, it proved to be a good choice because Isaac, Jr. was more like my father (blonde hair, personality, and skills) than either me or my youngest brother.

My middle brother Isaac, Jr. 1944


On June 10, 1944 my brother John was born. He was named after his uncle John who was missing in combat during World War II. Ironically, after the war ending one year later Uncle John came home. My Uncle John was in a German prisoner of war camp, from which he escaped twice and was recaptured twice. After coming home from the war, Uncle John married his sweetheart, my Aunt Peggy. His first child was a boy which he named John. Thus, that is how our family came to have three “John’s” in the immediate family; Uncle John, my brother John (who we always called “John”) and Cousin John (who we call “Johnny.”)

Uncle John Tipton (on the right) in his paratropper uniform 1943
My youngest brother John, the "pet", 1945



After giving birth to three sons my Mother told my father that she wasn’t going to have eleven boys like her mother-in-law. From what I understand, just we three boys were quite a handful for Mom back in those days. I find that hard to believe but that is what she tells me. I’m going to take her word for it. Note how I keep my distance from my brothers in the picture below.

The three Tipton Boys; John, Isaac and Ronald 1948 at our Pop's favorite Packard



Growing up we had the textbook sibling relationships. I was my Mother’s favorite. Isaac, the middle child, wasn’t given as much attention. John, the youngest, was my father’s pet, which I highly resented. Since I was the oldest and the Crown Prince, I felt that I should have been given all the paternal attention. But it was not to be. Looking at old photographs now, I can tell by the body language where I stood (usually a step or two apart from my younger brothers) and where they stood.

My Mom, me and my two younger brothers at Aunt Ruth and Mary's home in Compass, PA 1950

There are many stories to tell about growing up in this typical below average middle class household. I would like to think we were step above the lower class but just on the threshold of middle class but in actuality we were almost dirt poor. Those stories I will tell in future postings.

The Terrible Tipton Boys sitting on the stoop at their apartment building at 120 Washington Avenue, Downingtown, PA with their friends Johnny Johnson and Patty Robinson (girl in back unknown)



The story I will tell you now is that I just got off the phone with my Mom a few hours ago. She is now living with my youngest brother John in South Carolina. She is 86 years old and doing well for a woman of her age. She has her aches and pains and her memory isn’t what it used to be. But she is comfortable, safe and secure. Mom took care of her “three boys” for many years.  Now it is our turn to take care of our Mom.

Brother John helping our Mom out with a puzzle at his home in South Carolina 2009


Growing up my brothers and I had our differences, to say the least. It was usually me against them. Actually, I had no problem with Isaac. My problems were with John because I thought he was a spoiled brat, being the pet and all. Maybe he was. Sometimes we got into arguments that turned violent. I remember one time the three of us got into fisticuffs at the bus stop (I can still remember gravel embedded in my elbows when we were rolling around on the road trying to land a punch on each other.) As we were grappling around on the ground, the school bus pulled up. The school bus driver opened the door and let in the Stongs (the other kids who caught the bus where we caught it) and pulled off, leaving the Tipton boys to sort things out on the ground at Boot Road and Skelp Level Road. Uh oh, we knew we were in trouble then because we MISSED THE BUS! That meant we had to go home and try and explain to Mom what happened. Mom was not pleased. We got pinched real good for that misbehavior. My Mom gave up hitting us with her hands because we were too big and she always ended up hurting her hand so she gave us those twisty pinches instead.

Here I have my brother John in a headlock which is where I tried to keep him most of our childhood. 


We were thankful that our only punishment was pinches. She could always call out the Big Guns and say “I’m going to tell your Father.” THAT is something we DID NOT WANT TO HEAR. She drove us to school and said “If it every happens again I’m going to tell your father!” It never happened again. As you can see Pop was a big man and we did not want to anger him.  You see that belt he's wearing?  Holding up his pants wasn't the only thing he used that belt for.  We felt the sting of that belt more than once.  Nothing like a little corporal punishment to get a rowdy, misbehaving boy's attention.

"Pop Tipton" with his namesake, Ike, Jr. 1950



This is just one of the many anecdotes of growing up with two brothers. There are many, many more. I try to keep my blog postings short and interesting but when I start recalling and telling stories about my earlier life.
There are so many of them and I hope to tell most of them before I check out.

Mom with her hands full of three young sons.  She used to farm me out for a few weeks in the summer to Aunt Mary and Aunt Ruthie in Compass which was where this piture was taken in 1948


I’ll sum up this posting by saying that both of my brothers are alive and doing well. As well as one can expect of a 68, 66 and 65 year old. We all like one another. Oh, occasionally my middle brother and I have a disagreement about politics (they’re conservative, I’m liberal) but we try to stay away from that subject because I know I’m never going to change his mind nor will he change my mind.

Me and Isaac, Jr. in calmer times 1948


All I know at this time of my life is that I am so thankful to have Isaac and John and my brothers. We all like and respect each other. We have a common goal in seeing that our mother, who has done so much for us, is comfortable in her old age.

Mom doing a little afternoon reading at her new home in snow free South Carolina


My father died August 22, 2000 at 80 years of age. He and my mother were married for 60 years. My father was not a rich man. For most of his life he worked as a foreman in a trailer assembly plant. He stopped working when he was 52 years old and my Mother went to work on the frozen cake layer line at Pepperridge Farms in Downingtown, PA. My father had occasional carpentry jobs finishing houses with his friend Harry but he never earned any significant money. My Mother was the bread winner for many years.

Isaac W. Tipton, Sr., aka "Pop" sitting in front of his garage at home in East Brandywine Township, Downigntown, PA 1998


My father may not have let a lot behind in money but he left behind what I consider to be a much more valuable treasure. He left a legacy in his three sons. If I can be permitted a bit of chest thumping, I think he and my Mom did a good job of raising their three sons. In fact, I know he did.  Just look at these three below.  Wouldn't you be proud to call them your sons? 

The Tipton Boys with their Mom 2005 Exton, PA - the only professional portrait ever taken of this family



I am proud to call Isaac and John my brothers.

John, Ike, Sr., Ike, Jr. and Me 1989 at Pop's home in East Brandywine Township, Downingtown, PA





7 comments:

  1. Tremendous post..great pictures. Great anecdote about Uncle John in WWII...you should get more on his story...fascinating. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Main Line Sportsman,

    There is much more about my Uncle John. I posted his story on my other blog, "Tipton Tales and Trails."

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Does this mean you're going to stop saying it and start doing your memoir? Interesting stuff there, some things I didn't know.

    In the recent pictures of your mom she looks very happy.

    I was just by your old home on Boot Road Monday evening. Of course it isn't there anymore. I drove up Chestnut past Pepperidges former plant and then by East Ward. Some on had told me they had torn 424 down, but it was still there and occupied. Maybe they were thinking of Buckley's across the street. That house was torn down quite awhile ago.

    Drove out Lancaster Avenue going East. Hardly recognize that area anymore. Felt like i was somewhere else.

    I'm curious. You said your dad stopped working at age 52. How come he retired so early? My dad fully retired this time last year. It was around last Easter he went into the hospital and we though maybe he wouldn't come out. He'll be 92 this year and doesn't look bad at all. I called this morning but they were out to breakfast. Just under two months and mom will turn 90.

    Hope you'll continue writing some more about your life now. Enjoying it.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    My Mother told my Father to quit his job because they were putting too much pressure on him at work. Ironically, I did the same thing with Bill. He was traveling a lot and not spending anytime at all home after we moved to our new house in PA. I was doing well at the bank so I told him to take early retirement at 55 and I would support both of us. That he did and he hasn't had a job since. Ironically, a few after I told Bill that I could take care of everything, I lost my job at the bank ("downsized".) I managed to survive as I do to this day.

    Thank you for the good words on my stories. Yes, I will be posting a lot more about my life. It makes me feel good to get it all out. Isn't that the way you feel when you write about your life? I also look forward to reading about your life.

    Keep the stories coming Lar. I know you have hardly touched the surface. I haven't even touch the tip of the iceberg of my life.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:03 AM

    Hi Ron,

    I really enjoyed this posting & pictures of your life. Back then people were really proud of their autos I guess. My family has numerous pictures of us kids sitting on hoods, running boards, etc. It made me go dig out my older pictures. Thanks for the memories, again.

    Happy Easter!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran,

    Yes, way back then the car one owned was a status symbol. I know my father was very proud of his car. What was the deal with putting kids on the hoods anyway?

    I love older pictures. I have a lot. My only regret is that I didn't take a lot more of people instead of scenery.

    Thanks for generous comments about my blog postings. I love to write. I feel this need to leave a history. This blog does that.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete