Monday, March 01, 2010

The Ides of March


The Ides of March




Wow. We finally made it! January and February of every year are the “lost” months. I say lost because of the cold, wind, dark and snow that limits out activity.



Sure, it’s cold and windy out there today but it’s March! That means April isn’t far behind. Already the green shoots of the spring bulbs are making their appearance in the frozen earth.



Today is the start of more than one thing for me. For one, I’m going back to work on my regular schedule at the hotel, twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays. I’m looking forward to getting back in the swim. It will be good to see my co-workers again and greet and meet new guests in the hotel. I will always work as long as I can. I’m not one of those retirees who are satisfied staying at home all the time (not that there is anything wrong with that to quote “Seinfeld.”) I’ve worked since my earliest memory and I will continue to work until I have no more memory. There, how is that?



I think my first job was running errands to the local mom and pop grocery store on the corner of Washington and Brandywine Avenue in the small town I lived in Pennsylvania, Downingtown. From there I progressed to paper boy, cleaning offices, a butcher’s shop, dishwasher, Army, hotel night auditor, accounts payable clerk, bank trust department remittance clerk, trust department operations manager, bank operations reconcilement manager, operations manager (again), gardener, bank operations consultant, and hotel front desk clerk. There, in one long sentence is my work career.



I’ve had a long and interesting life and it’s not over yet. I have much to be thankful for. Today is the first day of my renewal. The cycle continues.



Note: The picture featured in this blog I found when I was reorganizing my digital pictures. It was taken last year at a class reunion committee meeting. I only include it because I was fascinated by the intensity of the participants and the color of my shirt, nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment