Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ten Good Things About Being Laid Off


It is now almost two months since I’ve been laid off my job at the hotel. So how is retirement?


Well, it’s been good and bad.

First with the good:

1) I’m getting a lot more sleep. I never miss my afternoon nap. And it shows. I look rested and refreshed. My eyes have that youthful sparkle again. No more the haggard look. I am looking good if I do say so myself.

2) I’m saving money on gas. When I was working I would have to fill my tank at least once at week at $15 to $17 a pop. I don’t remember the last time I filled my tank. Maybe about 2 ½ weeks ago. Could be longer.

3) I get to see all my Netflix movies on a timely basis. I’ve upped my subscription to four movies out at a time. That provides a nice turn around. I always seem to have a movie or two waiting for my viewing pleasure.

4) I’m almost caught up on my backlog of e-mails. At one time I had over 400 messages (not all personal) in my Inbox. I’ve since whittled that down to just a little over hundred (mostly having to do with genealogy. Those e-mails require more attention.)

5) I’ve made a serious dent (not completed yet) of unpacking the boxes from my move to Delaware three years ago and sorting through those items and making decisions of what stays and what goes.

6) I sleep late EVERYDAY. I get up when I want to. I go to bed when I want to. The importance of that freedom cannot be stressed enough. For over fifty years I got up out of bed on someone else’s schedule. I looked forward to the day when I could get up when I wanted to, take a nap when I wanted to, and go to bed when I wanted to. I LOVE IT!

7) I don’t have anyone complaining to me. Again, a seemingly small thing but very important on lowering and eliminating stress in my life.

8) I get to enjoy my wonderful new home that I worked for all my life. I had this home built to accommodate me in the final phase of my life. I treasure every day in my nest, no matter what the weather is outside. I LOVE IT!

9) Speaking of the weather – I don’t have to go out in the bad weather. Rain, lightening, and blizzards. I don’t have to go anywhere. I can stay inside snug as a bug in a rug. I do not take that small luxury for granted. I LOVE IT!

10) I now have the time to cook my favorite dishes. Apple pie, eggplant Parmesan, spinach lasagna. Who needs restaurants? I cook better than any restaurant and I don’t have to tip myself. I LOVE IT!



Tomorrow I’ll list the ten bad things about not working.

2 comments:

  1. Number 1 in the bad things will be "Too much time to complain about things..." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    As usual, you ability to get right to the root of the matter is exactly right on the mark.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete