Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Gay Movies

Now that I have a lot of time off from work, I’m taking good advantage of my Netflix DVD movie rentals.



Lately I’ve been renting quite a few gay themed movies. One would think this would be a genre rich for exploitation into many fine dramas. However, one would be wrong.



I don’t know why, but almost all of the gay themed films I’ve rented are lousy films. The actors are almost always unattractive actors with stereotypical gay mannerisms. The stories are two dimensional and predictable. The production values are little more than home movies. The movies are an insult to the intelligence of the audience.



However, every now and then I discover a little gem. I found one last night. It is called “Shelter.”



The two main actors are men who just happen to be gay, not the other way around. The child actor isn’t the usually annoying child actor who dominates the movie with their cutsie poo, smart alecky antics. I’ve seen that so often that I’m sick of it. It was very refreshing to have a child actor actually play a real child.



The supporting actors in this movie are all very good. Even the scenes, for a low budget movie (still can’t get away from those low budget gay themed movies) are haunting and beautiful.



For most of my adult life I have subjected myself to watching heterosexual films (many of them excellent of course) that I could not identify with because of my homosexuality. What a pleasure it was to watch a nice little love story drama that just happened to have the main actors gay. It was also nice that the gay characters didn’t kill themselves at the end of them movie, which is usually how Hollywood has handled gay themed movies.



Now the challenge is to find another movie like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment