Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Day Three After the Blizzard of 2010


This morning when I woke up I was aching all over. The cause of my aching body was all the shoveling of snow I did yesterday.




After shoveling out our driveway, Bill and I noticed our new neighbor two houses up shoveling his driveway. What better time to meet the new neighbor than help him shovel his driveway?



We trudged up through the frozen snow on the road that sill had not been cleared and introduced ourselves to our new neighbor.



He is a 64 year old retiree who formerly lived in Rhode Island and moved to Delaware for the same basic reasons we moved – to escape our ever escalating local school property taxes and the milder weather of southern Delaware.



Our new neighbor has only been in his house for two weeks and he is greeted with this major dump of snow. We assured him this was VERY UNUSUAL. I’m not sure he believed us.



After shoveling snow like madmen (I really pushed myself), I retreated to the warmth and comfort of my house (which didn’t lose power during the Blizzard) and had lunch. Then it was time for a well deserved nap.



When I awoke later I heard the roar of what was unmistakable a Bobcat font loader. Sure enough, I look out my bedroom window and I see that Whitehall drive has been plowed! Big whoop!



I open the garage door to check this wonderful development and the first thing I see is a three foot high wall of frozen snow blocking my driveway. Oh no, more shoveling. Well, I got too it. Only a few minutes later the young man saw me attacking my blocked driveway with my shovel which was the equivalent of shoveling with a tablespoon.



He motioned to me and I nodded my head in affirmation. He scooted his Bobcat front loader and proceeded to clear my driveway in three scoops. WOW! Now that impressed me. Unfortunately, when he backed out he knocked over my neighbor’s mailbox (which I have on my FLIP video.) The poor guy, he probably thought I was videoing him for proof. I assured him not to worry that I would take care of the mailbox. Bill fixed it this morning.



So here we are on Day Two of the Aftermath of the Blizzard of 2010. This morning Bill and I made a run to Home Depot (we needed batteries for our garage door opener) and then I stopped at Super Fresh to get some milk and other vitals. This is in preparation for the next snow storm which is predicted for tonight and tomorrow. They say 10 to 20 inches of snow and a “wintery mix.” Don’t you just love that term “wintery mix?”



We were damn lucky the last time that our power didn’t go out. I know people whose power is till out. My friend “The Cajun” who only lives a short way from me is still without power. Bart, an 86 year old man who lives by himself (and his dog) still doesn’t have power. My other friend Big Bob tells me that Bart has been going out to his car to warm up. I know other people who are taking off to Florida today to get away from this mess. They’re getting out of Dodge. I wish it was me. This isn’t fun at all.



To all those who love the snow and like to play in it, have at it. As for me, all this snow is just a major inconvenience and sometimes a danger. I am so glad my brothers decided to get our Mom out of this and mover her to South Carolina for the winter. Maybe that’s where I’ll go next winter. Hear that John?

2 comments:

  1. Check out http://telling-secrets.blogspot.com/ -- I think I read about your friend The Cajun earlier today on another RB blog!

    I see that your neighborhood has buried wires. That has to be a good thing in this weather!

    The Delmarva Power website's outage map looks a lot better than it did a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LVTfan,
    Thanks for the tip about another RB blog and my friend The Cajun. I'll check that blog.
    One of the reasons I moved into a neighborhood (I used to live isolated in the middle of the woods where the power frequently went out) was because of the buried power lines. It's not a 100% guarantee that I would have power but it did increase my odds. Another reason I moved into a neighborhood was because I have neighbors. We help each other in times like this. Yesterday Bill and I helped our new neighbor. Bill also replaced another neighbor's mailbox that was knocked over during the snow removal. The day before we helped two other neighbors. I'm sure if we needed help (Bill is 81 and I'm 68, no longer spring chickens) the neighbors would help us. However, if you chose to live in the woods (like other friends of mine who live outside Georgetown isolated on 22 acres of wooded land) and are now in a panic because they can't get out of their driveway to the main road. They're 73 and 69 and both have medical problems.
    What happened here with this snowstorm should be a wake up call to people like this to reconsider their living conditions and to more into an area that isn't as dangerous during extreme weather conditions like this.
    I lost count of the times when I lost power at my home in PA (at least once a month) only to call friends who lived in a development with buried power lines who had not lost power. That is why when I moved to Delaware for the low taxes and the community; I decided not to live in the woods again. Sometimes we have to live by the choices we make. Fortunately, no one was seriously harmed this time. Maybe they won't be so lucky in the future.

    ReplyDelete