Saturday, February 06, 2010

Blue Bubble


See this Accuweather map? See the blue bubble? See what it says to the left?




“Anyone living under this bubble is totally screwed.”



Do you know where I live? I live in Delaware, Sussex County. Sussex County is the southern most county in Delaware. It is on the Delmarva Peninsula right before the border to Maryland.



Yep. That’s where we live and we are totally screwed.



The snow started Friday night about nine o’clock. When I woke up in the morning and looked out the window all I saw was a total whiteout. White, white, white…..everything was white.



Estimated snowfall is 30 inches. I can’t even open my front door.



Bill got up early to shovel the driveway at 3 a.m. He got up again at 8 a.m. He went out to shovel the driveway again in the horizontal snow. There was no trace of what he had shoveled out earlier.



At 4 p.m. he went out to shovel the driveway again. No trace of the earlier shoveling. The wind had blown all the snow back into the opening he had created in the driveway. We decided to take our homeowner’s association offer of paying $25 to have our driveway plowed out after the snow stops (which it has now.)



There is now a snow emergency on Delaware highways. It is strange to look out my back wall of windows and not see even one set of headlights traveling down Route 1. I don’t think I shall ever experience this situation again. I hope I don’t ever experience this situation again.



It’s not all bad though. At least we have electricity. Thank God for that.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you get some good photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    I'm afraid totally screwed means totally screwed. My son, as you know, works for a very giant liquor store in a shopping center right off a major interstate. It is where the news crews from Philadelphia like to set up their field reporter to do the look-at-the-snow-in Delaware broadcast. he was supposed to be at work at 6:00 AM Saturday. He didn't make it and the liquor store closed down a couple hours later anyway. So those people couldn't even hit the liquor stores.

    By the way, did you read my post on the week before storm and my dead turn signal? I thought you'd enjoy that one, but didn't see any comment.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:33 AM

    Hi Ron,

    It's a mess isn't it? We were without electricity from 4AM Sat until until about the same time Sat. afternoon. Boy, was it ever getting cold in our house. I have a gas stove so we were able to make coffee, soup, etc. on the top burners. We had drawn up water to flush toilets, etc. We have been thru this once before so were prepared. My husband is out now shoveling a path to the car & truck. I worry because he has heart problems. I did some the other day & can hardly move my right shoulder now. It really sucks getting old!!!!

    You guys take care & stay warm!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran,

    Thank goodness your power is back on. I just got off the phone with my friend Wayne ("Cajun" from "On Transmigration".) He lives at the end of Willow Road right off Rt. 1 past that white piano sign. He's been without power since yesterday at 3 pm. He says the temperature is "up to 55 degrees" (because of the sun coming in through his window) from 48 degrees overnight and early this morning. He has no way of getting out. He's contemplating calling the National Guard and having them come in and getting him out and taking him to the Cape Henlopen High School.
    I never expected this kind of weather since I lived here. Never. Please tell you husband to be careful and not exert himself shoveling snow. A friend of mine's husband did that and died while shoveling the snow. It's not worth it. Just wait it out. It doesn't take that long.

    It's good you had the presence of mine to draw water and put it in your bathtub so you could flush the toilet. Most people don't think of that little detail.

    Don't forget, tell your husband to let that snow shoveling go.

    Take care,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim,

    I took a lot of pictures but I don't have the beautiful scenic landscapes that you have in Scotland. The land is too flat here on the eastern coastal plain of the Atlantic Ocean. I miss the hills of Pennsylvania. Those hills offered the best venue for beautiful pictures.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete