Sunday, January 17, 2010

Moon



Last night I saw “Moon.” This was my latest Netflix movie rental.




The first few scenes of this movie reminded me of “2001 – A Space Odyssey.” A few of the reminders:



1) the space station with its long, pristine, light and shadow corridors

2) the cool talking robot (Hal in “2001”, Gerty in this movie (which is the voice of Kevin Spacey

3) the slightly off balance astronaut

4) the endless star studded black skies of space



But there the similarities ended. Without giving away too much about the story line to spoil the movie for those of you who haven’t seen it yet, I want to say that his was one of the most thought provoking movies I have seen in years.



After watching this movie I felt like I had an “experience.” Remember the movies of old when we left the movie theater with that feeling? Too many movies these days are predictable and not very entertaining. Either they’re movies with excesses of violence and blood or silly romantic comedies in which the principal characters have no chemistry at all.



Not so this movie. Directed by the son of David Bowie (remember “Major Tom?”), this is a movie you won’t forget for a long time after you see it.



I like a movie that I cannot predict and make me think. This is one of those rare movies.

2 comments:

  1. I'll keep an eye out for that one when it turns up in the UK - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    You will like "Moon." Very thought provoking and maddening.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete