Sunday, January 24, 2010

I Gotta Get Out of Here



It’s been almost a month now since I’ve been out work. I still haven’t reset my daily schedule to cope with this unexpected development.




I needed work not only for the extra money that it brought into the household (and paid the mortgage) but for my mental well being.



I am hard wired to work. I’ve had some kind of job since I was 5 years old (used to run errands to the local grocery store for my neighbors) to paper boy, office cleaner, dishwasher, store clerk, bank operations manager, and now hotel front desk clerk. It’s been quite a ride but I’m not ready to quit working yet.



I don’t want to work full time but I do want and need the discipline of a job to go to. As a co-worker of mine explained (he also worked part-time like I did), “My job gives me something to plan my week around.” That explains my needs also.



It’s not as if I don’t have enough to do around the house, I do. However, I do need to go out and when I go out I like to get paid. If I don’t get paid, then when I go out I’m spending money. Or at least that’s what I used to do. I’m at a time of my life that I don’t need much of anything any more. I’m in the maintenance stage. Plus, I don’t have the disposable income to indulge in buying things I don’t need.



So it’s time for reset in my life. I need to reset my daily routine where it doesn’t include getting dressed up and going to work and dealing with the public.



That’s where I am at now. I can’t do what I did today. I let my sour mood bring out the worst in my personality and I posted a very negative blog. There are more than enough blogs that complain about everything, mine certainly isn’t going to make a difference. Besides, the things I complain about are like pissing in the wind. It all comes back on me.



Thus tomorrow I will get out, even if it is for a ride to visit my friend who lives in the woods on the outskirts of Georgetown. Maybe I’ll just take a ride to the end of Long Neck Road and sit in my car and look at the bay. I have to do something to get out of the house and not let my negative feelings overtake me. I am better than that.

2 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Maybe you could volunteer somewhere a couple days a week. That's what Lo has done. She's going to be the Cat Co-ordinator or something thing like that at the Humane Association. She will work on socializing cats and meet with people coming to adompt to tell them about the cats' history and how to care for the creatures.

    This week my schedule is Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and friday, each for three hours. I don't know what happened to that must be four-hour blocks. So not more hours, just more days. I'd rather have the three day week of four hour days. All this does is cost me an extra days gas.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lar,

    I could volunteer but I don't. I don't have the personality for giving away my time for free. I don't think it is appreciated as much as being paid for my time. I've volunteered in the past and I was treated like an old man who had nothing else to do. I realize that volunteering works for many people and is beneficial to the recipients of their efforts but it isn't for me. I want to do something I enjoy as well as being meaningful. Volunteering at an animal shelter is probably the only way I would give my time freely but I would get too upset working around all those homeless animals. I would want to rescue all of them.
    Instead I'm "volunteering" my time to making DVD's of videos I took of past family reunions and sending them to my relatives. I have other similar projects on the back burner. Information and pictures I want to distribute to my relatives before I die.

    It's not that I don't have anything to do around the house. I have a lot of things to do to keep me occupied. My genealogy, blog, cleaning out my 68 years of accumulated "don't needs", writing my autobiography, writing a history of my family, sorting my photos (thousands of them), painting, crewel and counted stitch work, and on and on. I have lots to do Lar. That isn't the problem. I like the discipline of a paying job. A volunteer job doesn't have that discipline for me.

    Speaking of which; the Inn just called and asked if I could come in on Sunday, 3 to 11 on February 7th. I checked my calendar and I find that I am free on that date. Yes, I will go in. I'm looking forward to it because I really do like my job at the hotel. Not only because I get paid (which I like) but because it utilizes my best people skills.

    Life is short Lar and I'm going to do what pleases me. May sound selfish but I'm in my last act now so I don't have a lot of time to play around with.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete