Sunday, December 06, 2009

Stupid Move


Well, I did it. This morning started out well enough with the sun making an appearance. The temperature read 45 degrees but there was little or no wind. Yes, today was a good day to go up in the attic and get those Christmas lights.



So I go up in the bonus room closet and open the little trap door that leads to the attic where I have my Christmas decorations stored. I stoop low to get through the door and make a right turn, careful to avoid stepping on the insulation. Below the insulation is the drywall to the ceiling of my kitchen below.



One trip gathering Christmas items went well. The second trip didn’t go so well. In fact it was a disaster because I lost my footing and my leg up to the knee went right through the insulation and drywall of the kitchen ceiling. I couldn’t believe it. I looked below and sure enough, there was insulation in my kitchen sink. My kitchen now had a skylight to the attic.



There was no way of covering this up. The deed was done. Beside, the cover up is always worse that the original crime (as Richard Nixon and Tiger Woods know.) And a “crime” indeed I did because Bill has warned me time and time again “Be careful when you’re up there! If you step on that insulation you’ll go right through the ceiling!”



Well, I thought I was careful. What actually happened I was trying to balance myself on the two by fours wearing my Crocs. My Crocs slipped. There! I’ll blame the Crocs. No, actually I’ll accept the blame. It was a Stupid Move.




The day wasn’t a total loss. I did get the Christmas lights up. Now for the Christmas cards. I wonder if I can do that without destroying anything.

8 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Darn, did you get it on video?

    You okay? Might be a little sore tomorrow. At least you didn't go completely through and you end up in the kitchen sink.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you really put your foot in it this time. We have a roomy attic but we have laid boards down to make a walk way. At least you didn't hurt yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lar,

    You're right! I could've fell completely through! My friend Ron Hampton's father fell through his ceiling onto the bed below. Wow.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    We should have had more boards on the floor in the attic. At our previous house almost the whole attic was covered in boards. I think we learned out lesson here, more boards are going up. Of course I won't be in the attic as often (if at all) in the future. Bill has banned me from the attic.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenn banned me from using a ladder. Geez, I'm only 60. ONLY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart thinking to get photos for the blog. Disasters are always easier to ope with when you can think, "At least it'll make a good blog post..."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim,
    My thinking exactly. I thought that "now this is an interesting blog post" even though I wasn't too happy about what happened. I also thought that someday I'll look back on this and find the humor in it. Right now all I'm thinking is how much it is going to cost me to get it fixed and the fact that I got Bill upset by my stupidity.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike,

    "Only 60?" You're just a kid. Wait until you're closing in on 70 years old. That's serious Old Man territory.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete