Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Rain Returns

This was the day I was going to put up my outside Christmas decorations. That isn’t going to happen today. The rains have returned. Oh my, raining again. How unusual.





Undaunted, Bill and I left for our weekly breakfast outing at Zorba’s Restaurant in Rehoboth Beach. We were Zorba’s first customers this morning. Our regular waitress Erin came over and confirmed our breakfast order. For Bill, a fried egg sandwich for bill on white bread, double mayo. For me one egg over medium, crispy home fries, pork snout mush (aka scrapple) and buttered Rye toast. Bill’s beverage of choice is caffeinated coffee and mine is decaf. Shortly after we were served with our breakfast, the restaurant began to fill up with customers seeking shelter from the cold rain outside.




Earlier in the week I was debating whether of not to buy tickets for the annual Lewes Christmas House tour. I was reluctant because in the spring I had purchased tickets to the annual Lewes Garden Tour only to see the day of the tour almost washed out by a spring time monsoon. The tickets are good rain or shine. Since we only have the sun make an appearance once a week around here lately, I decided not to take the chance. I’m glad I didn’t. I’m glad my house isn’t on the tour. I would hate to have all those wet feet tramping through my house.



Bill just came back from our neighbors’ house. He told me the house next to them, which has been up for sale for a year and a half now, has sold. That’s the good news. The bad news is our other neighbor said the kids don’t speak English. Uh oh.



And the beat goes on.

4 comments:

  1. Ron,

    I put up our outside decorations on Thanksgiving weekend. Today I Choose "Christmas on Chestnut Street" on Demand and I got the tree up and put the lights on it. Lois has been decorating the house all week. She'll put the ornaments on the tree tomorrow evening when Noelle comes up.

    Temperature was at the day's high when I got up this morning. That was about 6:45 and it was 43 degrees. It started raining.. I went out and picked up lunch for us at around 11:30 and the temperature was 38 and it was turning to a mix. After lunch I had to go to the hardware store. in that short time to eat the temp. dropped three degrees to 35. By the tim I got to the hardware store the snow was pretty steady. It's been snowing all afternoon now and it is starting to lay.

    Now I am finally beginning to feel Christmasy.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow? SNOW? No, there is no snow down her in Lower Slower, thank goodness! I don't need no damn snow to feel Christmasey. No thank you, hearing about it is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Sunny this morning, although the temperature right now is just below freezing at 31 degrees. There is a patchy covering of snow across the back yard and some splotches here and there on the front yards of the street where the morning sun strikes first. The roofs of the houses around me are white and my car is snow covered.

    It began the first snow of this winter around noon yesterday and fell all day well into the late evening hours. The ground was still too warm to allow it to get a grasp, so it took several hours before any stopped melting off on contact. The roads were never effected.

    With the cold rain in the morning, which turned to a mix by mid-morn and the snow all afternoon we didn't go out last night.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    You still have snow? We had just a touch but it quickly went away. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete