Saturday, December 19, 2009

Let it Snow!



All day yesterday we were warned that a Major Snow Storm will hit the east coast today. Well, they were right. This was the scene from our back deck as the first light of morning dawned.




I love the snow, just as long as it is somewhere else. The lack of snow is another one of the reasons I moved to southern Delaware. When we do get snow, which we didn’t get any last year, it rarely lasts more than a day.



When we moved down here November 17, 2006, Bill insisted in bring his snow blower. It only took him one season to realize that the only thing that snow blower was doing was taking up precious space in our garage. He gave it to our neighbor who gave it to a friend of his who lived in Pennsylvania, where it snows. We remember, because that is where we used to live. Our snow blower got plenty of business in PA, not so much here.



Fortunately I don’t have to go to work today. But, our Christmas party is tomorrow night. I do look forward to going to the Christmas part. The owner of the hotel where I work is a very generous man and he always gives his employees a wonderful catered Christmas party. This year like last year, it will be at the Second Street Grill restaurant in Lewes. I hope this snow lets up by then. Bill will still have to take me in his four wheel activated Jeep Laredo.



This morning I called both of my brothers. Isaac, who lives in Pennsylvania (where the snow is) and John, who lives in South Carolina (my sister-in-law told me they got a “touch” of snow.) We moved our Mom to South Carolina to avoid having her deal with the snow. This is looking like a pretty good decision now.



Today I’m going to hang around the house and maybe scan some more of my old photos into my computer. I’m still on a roll in digging through the remaining boxes that are still unpacked in my basement media room. Will that ever end? I still haven’t found my old negatives. They’re someplace waiting for me to find them.



Now it’s raining outside. I can hear and see the rain beating on the windows of my front room office. If we’re lucky it will turn to sleet. Oh joy.

10 comments:

  1. Ron,

    When I got up around 5;30 AM the ground had one or two inches. I put on the TV and saw it was raining in Lewes, so I wondered if you were getting any snow. It's had this semi-circle of rain down along the coast all day.

    I went out and shoveled about 11:00 and took out a measuringrod. It was nine inches. Forecast kept saying the heavy stuff was still coming. About noon I noticed it picking up in intensity, so I don't know where we'l end up since its suppose to snow well into Sunday morning. They keep raising the depth.

    Last forecast about a half hour ago called for an additional 6 to 10 inches this afternoon and then another 6 to 8 inches tonight.

    Wind has been kicking up some swirls of solid white off and on.

    Our street is pretty good. We've always had a pretty good snow removal servive in the development. They started plowing sometime before sunrise.

    I'm glad it came in last night and not Thursday evening. Don't have to work today or tomorrow. Always like the snow when I don't have to go anywhere in it.

    Temperatures are supposed to be in the thirties all next week, so many we;ll still have enough for a white Christmas.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lar,

    We had some snow (about a inch if that) but now it is raining. The wind is whipping up quite a bit too.

    I'm like you, I like the snow as long as I don't have any where to go. I don't have anywhere to go today so "Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!"

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow seems to be falling, or has fallen in pretty much every other part of the country but here. Much to the disappointment of the kids...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    Just went out a bit after 3:00 PM and it is up to 13 inches and still coming down hard.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy happy holiday. It was 73 here today. I was in the back yard picking roses, getting some oranges off the tree to make some juice for tomarrow. Normal southern California holiday weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Mike. I do think you're rubbing it in. Are you sure you don't want some of this snow? It's 12:40 am Sunday morning now. The snow has stopped swirling around outside but the wind is still howling and the temperature reads 29 degrees. I'm not picking roses in by backyard, that's for sure. Picking oranges off the tree huh? I'm wondering if I can get out of here tomorrow to make it to the Inn Christmas party. One thing, Bill likes the snow. He's missed it since we moved from Pennsylvania. Well, he's making up for lost time now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lar,

    It finally stopped snowing. I think we got maybe two inches. That's a lot for down here. I hope I can make it to the Inn's Christmas party tomorrow night. I'm in the mood now.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim,

    Your kids would be happy here today. Plenty of snow! Definitely a White Christmas this year.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron,

    Well, here we are at 5:26 AM Sunday morning and the snow has stopped. Just took another measurement 15 minutes ago. Looks like we topped out at 18 inches. Temperature is 24 degrees right now. Sun is supposed to be out, but the temp. high is 31 with a much lower chill factor.

    Darryl's out cleaning off his car. He has to be at work at 6 AM. Isn't it great? Got to go sell that wine and beer so people can face driving in this mess with a buzz on. At least he only has to go a mile.
    Church services have been cancelled. Certain irony that the liquor stores will open but the churches won't be open to pray for the drinkers safety.

    They panic around here and don't know how to drive in the stuff when we get an inch, I don't know what they'll do today. I don't have to go anywhere until tomorrow and that is all main roads.

    Have fun at your party tonight.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lar,

    The snow finally stopped here too. I think we got about two inches, which is plenty. The temperature is 28 degrees now and the sun is out. The wind is just cold enough to hurt so I didn't stay out too long when I took some pictures of the white stuff this morning.

    I called the Inn and the party is still on tonight. Bill will drive me. He has experience driving in the snow from his days in Alaska (pre Sarah Palin.)

    I don't have to go to work until Christmas Eve. Maybe the snow will all be gone by then. One can only hope.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete