Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Last Day



Today is the last day of the year and the decade. And what a decade it has been.




I started out the decade with a well paying job and satisfying job that utilized all my skills and experience I had gained working for thirty five years in bank trust operations. I was living in my dream home on seven acres of pristine woodland property in Chester County, Pennsylvania.



My 401K and IRA accounts were worth over a quarter million dollars. Family and friends I have known all my life were alive and well.



I ended the decade having many of my friends and family either to death or dementia. Most of my savings were wiped out in the Tech Bubble. I sold my wooded paradise home in Pennsylvania at $195,000 less than my asking price.



I retired to Delaware to escape the high taxes of Pennsylvania. My new home in Delaware now has a mortgage (my first since 1979) that won’t be paid off until I’m 95 years old.



Several of my good friends have died. Others have had life threatening illnesses. My best friend and my Mother are now suffering from dementia.



Our country is vastly different on this last day of the decade that it was the first day of the decade, which I remember well (I worked the night shift at the hotel where I worked at that time.) The events of 9/11 changed all of that.



This year I will also be working at a hotel, the night shift. Where will I be ten years from now? If I’m alive, I am quite sure I will be by myself.



I have no doubt the next decade will see changes that are unforeseen at this time. Hopefully, they will be for the better. But nothing in this life is guaranteed. The past decade is proof enough.



Happy New Year everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Ron, yes this last decade has been full of change. I shake my fist at the past and open my arms to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For anyone who is interested, that is my sunset picture on this blog. I took it in February of 2005 of Rehoboth Bay while I was house/cat sitting for two ladies who were getting away from the winter cold in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For anyone who is interested, that is my sunset picture on this blog." That statement startled me for a moment. It sounded like you were shutting it down, "sunsetting" it.

    Were you conscious of the composure when you took it? Everything directs your attention to the glow of setting sun above the pier. The path, the clouds, the narrowing bend of the river, even the way the trees lean to the left. Your eyes go immediately to the sunset and then follow the flight of birds back across the landscape. Really nice. It evokes severals moods, both of peace and solitude, but also a certain melancholy.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    You saw exactly what I was trying to do with the sunset picture I posted on my blog. I stayed at the girl’s house for about a month an a half. Every day I went out to the next road (Marshall Road) which is right on Rehoboth Bay, trying to get just that right sunset picture.

    Yes, I did see the composition of the path, clouds and narrowing bend of water to represent the way I felt. The birds were a bonus. I was afraid I would miss them. To me they represent ascension into something higher and more positive. The flight of the birds represent a renewal, hope for the future.

    I love the juxtaposition of all these elements in this picture. You are very perceptive to have seen this.


    Ron

    ReplyDelete