Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day Two of the Thaw Out


Today is Day Two of the thaw out of the hit we took from the Major Winter Snowstorm of 2009. Here in the little development where I live ice still covers the roads. So much for our homeowner’s fees going to clearing the roads.








We only got two to three inches of snow on this the eastern side of Route 1, two miles from the ocean breeze. Further inland most areas got a foot or more of snow.







To have snow still on the ground two days after the snowstorm is unusual for this area. Usually the snow is gone by the end of the next day. That is just one more reason I like living in this area of southern Delaware, the snow doesn’t hang around too long.







Yesterday I didn’t go out of the house once, which is very unusual for me. I will make up for that today. A trip to Wal-Mart is planned. I want to get prints of some of the pictures I took of the Christmas party I attended with my co-workers on Sunday night.







I have to get out of the house at least once during the day. These days of darkness descending with its emphatic certainty will come to an end. It is all so very depressing to have midnight darkness at before 6 in the evening. Thank goodness today is the first day of winter. That means the days will start getting longer again. This is what I look forward to every year.







I am making major progress in going through and cleaning out the remaining boxes I have of my move from three years ago. Yesterday Bill took out a box for me to empty. That box contained all my files from my previous employments at Fidelity Bank in Philadelphia, as well as Downingtown National Bank and First Financial Bank. The first two banks I endured major drama. The paperwork is all there. As I sat in Bill’s basement office/storage area I leafed through and read some of the documentation of the saga and it brought back mixed emotions, good and bad. But that is a story for another time, perhaps that book I plan to write someday about my life.







Oh yes, that book will be written. That is my last main goal of my life. I will not go away until my story is told. Perhaps no one will find it of interest or read it while I’m alive. That fact doesn’t concern me. What concerns me is that I don’t want to depart from this life without a record of what actually happened. And that is the story that will be told. It won’t be long now. It is my story and my story alone. No one can take that away from me.



But for now I'm concentrating on just getting past Christmas and that dead week between Christmas and New Year’s in which most of the TV is about reviewing the past year, which I always find so boring.



In a couple of week it will be January and the New Year. The days will be getting longer and life will return to its normal routine. Then, before I know it, the first green sprouts of crocus will break their way through the frozen crust of earth by the sidewalk leading to my front door. That's when I know spring won't be far behind. I can hardly wait.

4 comments:

  1. Not dissimilar to here - it's virtually unheard of to have snow lying for more than one day. Since I moved here nearly 5 years ago, we've had about 6 days of heavy snow in total.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    Do you leave near the ocean or bay? The lack of heavy snowfall seems to be the norm around those areas. That is just fine with me.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're only 5 miles from the coast. I love to be near the sea. In an ideal world (lottery win) we'd live in a house overlooking the ocean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,

    I live two miles from the coast but it might as well be 500 miles because the ocean view is dominated by expensive beachfront mansions that I will never see unless I too win the lottery.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete