Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Day After


Another Christmas is past. While I like Christmas (but no the craziness of Christmas shopping), I'm never sad to see it go. Now life can go back to normal, or at least what passes for normal around here in Slower Lower.




This morning Bill and I ventured out for our weekly breakfast at Zorba's in Rehoboth Beach. Actually, Zorba's isn't right on the beach (which it sounds like) but along Route 1, just past the Wal-Mart. Actually, aren't quite a few stores "just past Wal-Mart?" But that a subject for a future blog. Who says they run out of subjects for blog postings? Not I.



Anyway, we venture out in the wind and rain, barreling down Rt. 1 to Zorba's. We're the first customers there. No big surprise. The economy is bad everywhere, especially in the restaurant industry. I fear that some of the restaurants down here in this resort area will close permanently if business doesn't pick up soon. Even though this is a resort area and most of the business is in season, this year we have had an unusual amount of rain. In fact, we've had a LOT OF RAIN. Enough rain already.



Our usual waitress Erin (or "Ear Ring" as Bill likes to call her because she wears big hoop earrings) was slouched over the cash register. She was ready for another day of humoring the Old Gay Guys. Hey, it could be worse. She could be humoring the Grumpy Old Straight Guys. At least we're happy. Well, most of the time anyway.



Erin came over to chat a bit. We asked her how her Christmas was. She said "It was nice." She asked us how our Christmas was. We said "It was nice." HOOOKAY. Let's move this conversation on a bit further. I asked her how her kids (she has two daughters, an 8 year old and a 4 year old) liked Christmas. Well, that opened the flood gates. Asking parents about their kids is a guaranteed conversation starter. And that is fine. I love hearing parents talk about their kids. I like seeing the genuine smiles on their faces as they relate the latest exploits of their kids. After all, that is the purpose of most people's lives anyway isn't it? Having and raising kids?



I often think that if I had went the conventional route and gotten married (I almost did you know) at 20 years old I would probably have adult grandkids now. Wow. Anyone who knows me will probably find that hard to believe. But that was the possibility. Both of my brothers have adult grandchildren of child bearing age. It won't be too long before either or both of them are great grandfathers. So far I have five grand nieces and four grand nephews. Time is a ticking.



Last night I finally discovered my cache of old photos. I look a these photos and find it hard to believe that so much time has passed since I took these pictures in the Sixties. I always considered myself sort of a dorky kind of guy back then but now that I look at the photos I've changed my opinion. As compared with my Old Prospector look (I'm 68 now), I'll go for that unabashed naive, wrinkle free, low hairline look that I had in the Sixties. I sure would.



The picture above is me at the height of my Dorkdom - 1967


But back to the weather.  It looks like another gray, dreary, wet nor'easter type of day.  Dana Owens (aka Queen Latifah) said it best in her version of the old Mama's and Papa's song, "California Dreaming." 

All the leaves are brown
and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk
on a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm
if I was in L.A
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day
stopped into a church
I passed along the way
well, I got down on my knees
and I pretend to pray
you know the preacher likes the cold
he knows I'm gonna stay
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day
all the leaves are brown
and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk
on a winter's day
if I didn't tell him
I could leave today
California Dreamin'
on such a winter's day

It is going to be that kind of day.  Only three more months to go until Spring.






9 comments:

  1. Anybody care to venture a guess as to what road that is on the profile picture at the top of this page and where that road leads to? I'm testing the knowledge of all my Delaware fans. Just to see how much you all are paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    It looks like the Coastal Highway (Rt. 1) when you get down in the area moving toward Rehoboth, but that seems too obvious because you talk about going down Rt. 1 to Rehoboth. Of course, it could be a lot of stretches of road in the state.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have fans? ;-)

    It looks like it may be the road from your housing group to the inlet. I'm guessing, there are lots of roads that look like this one, especially in the rain.

    Jeez, I can't believe you ventured out in this mess.
    Trying to get over this cold I stayed in and read, watched a few films, and cooked a pork roast to make pulled pork.
    Back to babysitting baubles today. At least it is warmer and the sun is to make an appearance.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    The picture at the top of the blog is of Oyster Rocks Road leading to the Broadkill River. Oyster Rocks Road is the road past the development where I live.

    The picture on the daily blog posting is of Rt. 1. You were right. Yesterday was so dreary unlike today which is very sunny. I will take another picture today to contrast the days. That's what I love about living in southern Delaware. We get these glorious days like today to offset the gray dreary days. Makes one appreciate life all that much more.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cajun,

    That's Oyster Rocks Road honey. The road past my development.

    Bill didn't want to go out today but I wanted to get out of the house and give some business to the local restaurant. Plus, we had to take our gifts to the waitresses who have given us such great service the past year.

    It's good to get out. Like today. The sun is shining. I'm picking up Big Bob and we're going to the boardwalk. Jim is working today. Maybe we'll stop by later and check out the baubles with you.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron,

    I misread your question. I thought you meant the picture with the Post. I wouldn't have guessed the banner picture at all.

    You'll have to forgive my not paying close enough attention. I;ve been sick all weekend since Christmas Eve.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lar,

    I'm sorry to hear that you're sick. My friend Wayne ("The Cajun") has also been sick for about two weeks now. So far I've been able to avoid that bug. So far anyway.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, Ron...I think that's what I said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right the Cajun. That is Oyster Rocks Road.

    ReplyDelete