Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day 2009


The sky outside is gray, the snow is melting under 48 degree temperatures and I have just returned home from working two shifts at the hotel in the last 24 hours.




This was the kind of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebration that I prefer. No more rushing around ladened with presents visiting friends and relatives. Some years ago I decided to opt out of the Christmas Rush and I haven't regretted it one minute.



Because I choose not to participate in this annual madness does not mean that I disparage those who do. In all things (except breaking the law of the land) I say "If that is what works for you; then go for it. This is what works for me."



Most folks have their personal traditions that they follow every Christmas season. I think that is a wonderful thing. Many years ago in my Previous Life, I used to take my bank profit sharing distribution and blow it on presents for my Mother and Father, nieces and nephew (I only have one), sisters-in-law (my brothers and I don't exchange presents; never have, never will) and my Honey. I even used to buy presents for all those who worked under me in the bank operations unit I supervised and managed for many years. Those days are long gone, along with the bank profit sharing distributions (wasn't that a relic of prehistoric times though?)



I worked the 3 pm to 11 pm shift last night at the hotel. All was quiet. This morning I worked the 7 am to 3 pm shift. All was quiet again. We had a few guests in the hotel. I welcomed them with a hearty "Merry Christmas!" and received the season's good wishes in return. That's all I ask. They're happy, I'm happy.



Now I'm home and adjusting to my new work situation. My manager informed me yesterday because of the low business at the hotel that I won't be on a regular shift next month and possibly the month after (January and February.) However, he told me that I would be "on call." That means I'll fill in whenever the regular full time front desk clerks are off. I've been doing that anyway since I have worked at the hotel. The only difference is that I won't have my regular hours.



The reduced income will necessitate me to review my expenditures. In other words, I have to watch my money more carefully now. No more buying things on impulse (my lifelong habit of which I have a basement storage room to attest.) Now I will have to be like almost everyone else and only part with my funds when absolutely necessary. This will probably mean fewer dine out nights with my friends in Rehoboth Beach.



So you see the ripple effect of this poor economy. We don't get the guests in the hotel, the employees of the hotel don't get the hours (I'm not the only one), and I don't spend my money at deserving restaurants in Rehoboth Beach thus supporting those establishments and their staff. Obama, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ECONOMY!



With the extra time I have the next few months I plan to complete my purge of the remaining boxes I have in my basement storage room. I may finally get started with my EBay account after procrastinating all these years. I got a lot of "goodies" that need to make a one way exit out my front door. No excuses now. I may even cedar line my walk in closets. Now that would be a major accomplishment.



On this waning day gray skies and damp temperatures, Merry Christmas everyone and to all a good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment