Saturday, October 03, 2009

The Power of Prayer


Today's posting is a little different for me. As though of you who know me personally, you know that I do not buy into "man-made" religion. Another way of describing "man-made" religion is that or the organized church. The organized Christian Church left me when I was 10 years old because of my homosexuality. There are those friends of mine who criticize me for "always being the victim." Well, sorry about that but when the man-made church tells me I will burn in Hell for eternity because of who I am, and then I have no choice but to leave that church for the Select Few who were lucky enough to be born with the socially acceptable chromosome makeup.





After I left the organized man-made Christian Church when I was 10 years old I continued to have my own personal religion. Many times over the years I have prayed for guidance in this perilous minefield called Life. Many times I have had guidance from a Greater Power that has helped me through some very difficult times. I don't know whether it was my guardian Angel or Buddha or just a Spirit in the Sky. One thing I do know is that organized religion has never helped me nor has man helped me. The only thing that has gotten me this far in life (67 years) is my personal spiritual belief.




A friend sent me an e-mail this morning that best epitomizes the way I feel sometimes. The friend who sent this e-mail to me this morning is going through a difficult time of her life at this time. She recently lost her job. Then she discovered she had breast cancer. Just last week she lost her father, with whom she has lived with and cared for these many years. Now she is alone except for her brother who is caring for her.



I met my friend many years ago (1965) when I worked at Girard Bank in Philadelphia. She started work a short time after I began working for the bank. We were good friends even after we both changed our jobs and went to work for another bank up the street when Mellon Bank took over Girard Bank.



We worked together at the new bank for about seven years until I left in 1994. Over the years we have remained in touch by e-mail. Her friendship is one of the few I have maintained over the years in all my job changes and travels. She is one of those True Friends. I am very fortunate because I have a handful of these True Friends whose friendship I value more than just about anything.



My friend believes in religion but makes no judgments. My friend doesn't warn me about burning in Hell because I am a homosexual and I refuse to "accept" Jesus Christ as my Savior. My friend does not discount me as a human being because of my homosexuality. My friend does not patronize me by saying she "tolerates" me in spite of my "weakness." My friend accepts me just as I am, a human being created in the image of God.



This is her prayer. It has meaning for me. I want to share it with others who feel as I do. And why do I post an image of a made-made representation of Jesus Christ? It is only a symbol of Peace and Love which in the end is what religion is all about anyway.



 







This prayer is powerful, and prayer is one of the best gifts we receive. There is no cost but a lot of rewards.



Let's always pray for one another.






The prayer:






Father,


Thank you for each and every day you have


blessed us here on earth.


Thank you for your tender mercies.


Thank you for giving us friends and family to share these internet joys with. I ask you to bless my friends, relatives and those I care deeply for who are reading this right now.






Where there is joy, give them continued joy.


Where there is pain, give them your peace and mercy.






Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence.


Where there is need, fulfill their needs.






Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings.














In Jesus' name..






Amen.



8 comments:

  1. Actually, very few religions are about peace and love. Most are about dedication to [insert god of choice] above all else.

    Even in the bible, God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son to him. OK, he lets him off the hook at the last moment, but he was testing to see if Abraham would do what God said, even though the act itself was what we would consider evil.

    In Christianity, unless you accept Jesus as your saviour you ain't getting into heaven, no matter how much of a nice, good, peace-loving guy you are.

    People often confuse the idea that it's about being good, in a humanitarian idea of good. In fact it's all about being obedient, which is something else entirely.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    I agree with you 100%! In a few clear and concise word you expressed my beliefs about religion exactly.

    The obedience part is the problem I have with religion. I also have a problem with the praise part. What does that have to do with anything?

    To give you a good example of why I don't believe what I call "man-made" religion is what my good friend Bill B. told me. He said even though I lead a good life and do no harm to anyone, I won't enter the Kingdom of Heaven unless I "accept" Jesus Christ as my savior. He told me that Ted Bundy (one of our more notorious serial killers who "accepted" Jesus Christ on his death gurney before he was about to be executed) would go to Heaven before I would.

    This is all a moot point anyway because, to me, reincarnation makes more sense. But when I tell him he looks like his head is about to explode.

    I will write more on this subject (you really have my interest now) but I have to finish updating my class reunion booklet (which seems to be taking forever.)

    I am looking forward to discussing this subject with you. I will check your older blog postings on this subject also. We think alike my friend. I'm glad I found a like minded soul.

    By the way, my father, brother and nephew are all named "Isaac." The son of Abraham. Where did I get my name? Mom named me after that old time English movie star Ronald Coleman. He was one of her favorites when she was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    I hate Blogger sometimes. I wrote a long comment to this post and your comment to Kim's comment. I hit the post comment, it went through the stuff it does, but the comment disappeared. Well, it was too long to rewrite.

    My own fault for not being careful to check and see if it said my comment had posted before I clicked out of the thing.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    Oh, maybe it did go through. I see you have Moderation turned on and it has to have your permission to publish now. So if you got three comments from me on this post, this is why. Now you can just go dumb guy dumb guy dumb guy!

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lar,

    Isn't that frustrating to write a long text and then to lose it? I have done it myself and I know what you mean about not getting "it" back if you rewrite it.

    Ask me how many times that have happened to me writing a long e-mail on AOL and to have AOL go down. That's when I feel like tossing my computer out the window.

    At least when you do it the old fashion handwritten way you don't lose it in a blip of a keystroke. Ah, modern technology....what would we do without it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lar,

    No, I don't have the Comments Moderation page on. But I don't have your long comment either. Who know, maybe it wasn't meant to be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron,

    I've had this happen a few times before. You'd think by now I'd learn to wait and look at the notification that my comment had been processed.

    By the way, it says your comment moderation is enabled and the last two comments I send all showed the message they would be published with your permission, which means it's on.

    Oh well, i just basically asked if you might write a post claerifying how you agreed with what Kim said since I also agreed with Kim's comment and I know you and i don't totally agree on faith. (Kim is an Atheist, by the way.) I also mentioned you have believed in reincarnation a long time, because you told me you believed in it when we were teenagers. I have a funny story to tell about something that happened after you told me and it led me to question religion, but that's for another time.

    I also mentioned my head doesn't explode when people disagree with me and I hope thier heads don't explode either.

    Lar

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lar,

    You are right. I do have the comment moderation enabled. I did that because I was getting spam.

    No, I wasn't referring to you when I said friends who disagreed with me that their heads would explode. The person who I was referring to knows very well who he is. And no, my head won't explode when someone disagrees with me because I know I am right in my beliefs. That may sound arrogant but it is what I believe until Jesus parts the clouds in the sky and tells me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete