Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Morning of the Equality March

In a few short hours I catch the bus for the trip to Washington D.C. for today's March for Equality.




Thirty years ago on October 14, 1979 I also caught a bus on an early Sunday morning. This bus left from center city Philadelphia where I lived at that time. This bus left for Washington D.C. and the first ever gay rights march in our nation's capital. At that time I used to keep journal entries. Below is the journal entry I made after I returned from the trip:


Sunday, October 14, 1979



"NATIONAL GAY MARCH ON WASHINGTON!!"



"I did it! Something I'm very proud of. Participated in the March on Washington for Gay Rights. Very spur of the moment but right!






I do regret not having took my camera. I thought I would be a tourist but everybody had a camera! And what a time to take a picture! And plenty of opportunity. I just wasn't thinking. Hope there's another one. I won't make the same mistake.






People, gay people, from all over the country! Amazing! Felt so good. Now to see what the news says about it. Wouldn't surprise me if they said nothing.






This is the first demonstration I was ever in and it was the right one. Met a guy I hung around with. Not my type but it was good not to be alone.






Saw Al from Provincetown. Bobby from San Francisco. Also Richard but he was very rude.






This is something. Be a long time until I get over this one. Wish Bob went with me."



It was very interesting for me to read this journal entry. I had not read it since I entered it thirty years ago. I didn't remember if I took my camera but now I know. Notice the importance I placed on having a camera with me. Oh how I wish I had taken a camera. But look at my reason, I was afraid They would think I was a tourist! When I got there I was stunned at how many people were at the march. Oh how I wish I had taken my camera. I won't make that mistake today. Today I take my camera.



Now I have to get ready for my Big Trip. I am excited, again.

2 comments:

  1. I daresay you'll pop up on YouTube somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    No doubt. I'm not taking any chances though. I took over 200 pictures and half a dozen videos. I'm not making the mistake I made at the last march (30 years ago) when I didn't take a camera. I still regret that. However, I had just a wonderful time today.

    ReplyDelete