Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Facebook


I lost my Facebook connection.






Friday morning, as is my usual routine, I turn my computer on to bring up Facebook and fill out "What's on your mind..." I get a message "Facebook is down for maintenance for a few hours, we apologize for the inconvenience."



Okay, a small inconvenience. I would try to sign on later in the morning. That I did. I got the same message. "Facebook is down for maintenance for a few hours, we apologize for the inconvenience."



The rest of the day I tried to sign on to Facebook. Still no go. The next day, same message.



Then I decided to Google and see if Facebook's website was under attack. I saw some old messages but nothing current.



Sunday it was the same message. Monday morning I decide to take matters into my own hands. I gave my problem a lot of thought and came up with the conclusion that Facebook probably suspended my account because I used my MSN e-mail as my user ID. The problem is that I never use my MSN account and thus have never answered all the Facebook e-mails that occur anytime there is activity in my Facebook account.



I sign into my MSN account and see where I had 3,624 messages. Therein lies the problem.



I created a new Facebook account with my AOL sign on. Yesterday I started to rebuild my Friends list. Now my Facebook account is almost up to date. I am whole again.



I am surprised at how easy I became addicted to Facebook. I'm not one to go with popular trends but this is one that hooked me. Facebook is a social network that has enabled me to get in touch with relatives (my nephew and nieces) and long lost friends. Facebook also has a very user friendly web site that is fun to use.



I know there are some who denigrate such social networking web sites. I used to be one of them. However, last year the son of a former classmate of mine convinced me to join. He said as much as I like to blog that I would love Facebook. This young man knew me better than I knew myself. He was right. I do like it.



Those who criticize such web sites say we should get away from the computer and get out and meet people in real life. I agree that we should meet people in real life but I also believe there is a place and need for such Internet social network sites. They enhance rather than replace normal social interaction.



Many of us are not geographically close to our former friends and relatives. Social network sites like Facebook enable us to keep in touch with those people that we otherwise would have lost contact with forever.



For those friends who live just down the street there is also a need to keep in contact by Facebook. Facebook e-mails are more selective. You selected the "Friends" who you want to receive and send e-mail. Unlike a regular e-mail Inbox, Facebook's e-mail inbox has mail only from friends that you select.



"What's on your mind?" All is right with the world again, I'm back with my Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment