Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Visit From an Old Friend



Today I had a visit from an old friend and former co-worker from my Philadelphia bank days.




The last time I saw Tom was in 1996. We used to work together from 1987 to 1994 at Fidelity Bank in Philadelphia.



Over the years we have talked on the phone but not seen each other face to face since the last time he visited me when I worked at Downingtown National Bank.



Tom called last night and said he was in Ocean City Maryland and would I mind if he stopped in for a visit. Of course I said I would love to see him. Tom was one of my favorite co-workers at Fidelity Bank. The reason for that is probably because we think a lot alike. However, that is where the similarities end. Tom is straight, I am gay. Tom is a millionaire and I am poor. But he's still the same Tom that I remember from our days at Fidelity Bank in Philadelphia. Friendly, funny and personable.  I've often told Tom he could make a living as a stand-up comedian, he is that funny. 



When Tom was a youngster his family used to bring him to Lewes, Delaware for the summer. He hasn't been in the area in over fifteen years. He was very surprised by all the changes.


I took him to meet the folks I work with now at the hotel next to the canal in Lewes. I had another pleasant surprise because the son of my co-worker at the hotel was back from Iraq and visiting her. I gave him a big hug and thanked him for his service to our country.



Tom and I left for lunch in Rehoboth. I took him to my favorite place the Purple Parrot. We both liked char grilled hamburgers and the Parrot is one of the few restaurants that serves real char grilled hamburgers.



After lunch we took a walk up the street and I took Tom in to another restaurant to visit a good friend who is the host of that restaurant. This was the first time I was in my friend's workplace. Again, I was impressed. Maybe this was a day for me to be impressed.



Today was a day of a lot of smiles, rehashing old stories and general good will and camaraderie. Today was a good day.



The only negative note was when I got home and checked my e-mail and found that that the mother of a very good friend of mine had died. Today was another reminder of how fragile life is and how we should make each day count. Today was one of those days that counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment