Thursday, September 17, 2009

Crazy Days

I thought I was going to coast through this week after only having to work Monday night at the hotel. That didn't happen. Here's just a short list of all the unexpected things that happened that has worn this old boy out:

Monday: Had a scheduled appointment with the dermatologist at the Wilmington VA. I missed my ride (they were looking for me at the American Legion Post 28 in Millsboro and I was at Rts. 1 and 5.) Bill had to drive me to the VA. At the VA I got three precancerous spots burned off of my face. That procedure didn't feel good.

After shopping at Sam's Club in Dover, we get home in time for me to have a quick lunch and go in early to relieve the daytime front desk clerk who had to pick up her daughter at school.

I get off work at 11 that night and get home exhausted.

Tuesday: A day of "rest." No obligations today so I took the time to mow and trip the grass on my one acre property. That chore took about two hours. While I love working outside, the strong wind was wearing me down.

A former co-worker and friend who I haven't seen in over ten years, calls and tells me he is in Ocean City, MD and would like to stop by for a visit tomorrow. I say okay.

My Mother calls and says that the bank didn't receive the CD they sent to me to be signed. I know I sent it to them. I calm down my Mother and assure her that her CD isn't lost and then play telephone tag with the lady at the bank whose name is Dulemba ("Dumb".) She has a HEAVEY Hispanic accent. And she's an AVP? Finally late afternoon we connect and she tells me that she will send new paperwork. I call my Mother and tell her that all is not lost. I miss my afternoon nap.

Wednesday: My former co-worker and friend stops by the house at 11:30 am. While it was good to see him, I'm in my tour guide mode for the rest of the day. I had planned to do my weekly cooking on this day and also get a haircut, but that has to be postponed. My friend leaves late afternoon. I miss my afternoon nap. I try to get on the computer before I go to bed. I've lost my Internet connection.

Thursday: First thing, I check to see if I have an Internet connection. I don't even have a phone connection. Thus, I will spend a good portion of my morning calling Verizon on my cell phone and punching through a series of menu options to report no phone service and not Internet service. Bill wants me to drop him off at an auto repair garage in Milton. I'm baking a pie in the oven. I ask him to give me an hour.

On the way to Milton I get a call on my cell phone from the Verizon service repairman asking me if I tested the house lines. I told him we did. The problem is never in the house. I've had more problems with my Verizon connection since I moved to Delaware 2 1/2 years ago than I had in my 26 years when I lived in Pennsylvania.

Bill insists that I meet his auto repairman. I agree he's a character. Bill is intrigued by his "Southern" accent. I tell Bill "That's a Sussex County redneck accent. You just haven't heard it before because we live on the east side of Rt. 1 where all the transplants from other states live."

We return home and for the first time this week I have a normal lunch and take a short nap. I didn't sleep well because I knew I still had a lot to do today. I was up but I still had a lingering tiredness. I headed to the kitchen and finally started to prepare my weekly cooking project. I cook a casserole once a week and eat the left over the rest of the week. This cuts down on my food prep time. Today's recipe was very labor intensive. I was using the overflow of tomatoes from my garden and eggplant to make my Eggplant and Tomato Casserole (I have to come up with a unique name since the recipe is my invention.) The recipe also contains Italian sweet sausage, bread crumbs, Mozzarella cheese and Chablis wine. It is delicious and lasts all week if I'm lucky.

I received a call from a friend of mine who wants to dispose of his dead TV. Our schedules haven't coincided yet to enable me to help him transport his dead TV to the recycle center. I didn't finish cooking until 7:30 this evening. I am exhausted but as I said earlier, this recipe is very labor intensive but well worth it. I send my friend an e-mail and suggest Saturday, after my weekly breakfast at Zorba's with Bill and before I go to work at the hotel.  There appears to be a window of opportunity there.  Hopefully it will fit into my friend's schedule.

As far as I know I have nothing scheduled for tomorrow. Perhaps I can start on updating my 50th class reunion booklet. The reunion is October 17th, so I don't have much time.

Tomorrow I’ll mentally prepare myself for a three day stretch of work at the hotel. On Monday I have another appointment at the Wilmington VA. Yesterday Bill and I stopped down at the American Legion Post 28 in Millsboro to check in person my van reservation for Monday. They have me down to be picked up at Rts. 1 and 5. Maybe next week will get off to a better start.

I’m looking forward to the cool weather. My hours will go back to one night a week. The yard work will come to an end. After the class reunion on October 17th, I plan to finish unpacking from our move down here almost three years ago (November 17, 2006.)

This November I will turn 68 years old. I remember something my Mother told me about the time she reached this age. She was weeding corn and realized after the third row she couldn’t do what she took for granted. For the first time in her life she felt her age. That’s what I’m feeling now, my age. I am tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome except from SPAM bloggers. I answer all comments. Have a great day!