Friday, July 31, 2009

Zucchini Boats




I have had a couple requests for my Zucchini Boats recipe. Here is it below. I got the recipe from Taste of Home. Please fell free to add or subtract any ingredients that you feel will enhance the recipe to your individual taste. I find this recipe a good way to use those large zucchini that are so abundant in backyard gardens this time of year:


SERVINGS: 4
CATEGORY: Main Dish
METHOD: Baked
TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
Ingredients:
2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
3/4 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup large fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 tablespoons ketchup
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Trim the ends of zucchini. Cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Finely chop pulp. In a skillet, cook beef, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. add 1/2 cup cheese, ketchup, salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into the zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Yield: 4 servings. When scooping out the pulp for Zucchini Boats, a teaspoon is just the right size. Use your food processor or blender to finely chop the pulp quickly.

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I'll give it a try. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Make sure you use the smaller, tender zucchini. I used the a large one and the skin was too tough. It was like eating shoe leather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to our Sunday farmers market today. There weren't any large zuchini. I got some fair sized ones. I have had them before and they are tender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good. Tender works best. Let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete