Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Wayne!










My friend Wayne celebrated his hmmmmmm (over 40 under 70 )birthday yesterday. We had a delightful dinner at a new restaurant just down the road from where we live (Wayne and I are neighbors.) The restaurant is called the Surfing Crab. While I'm not a seafood or shellfish aficionado, Wayne tells me the crab cakes are to die for. In fact, I made a bit of a pig out of myself yesterday by not only having dinner with my friend Wayne at the Surfing Crab, I also had lunch with my friend Big Bob. For lunch I had their blackened chicken. It was delicious! For dinner I had their chargrilled Black Angus hamburger. Again, delicious!


This may sound like an advertisement for the Surfing Crab, and maybe it is but I'm telling you this restaurant is a find! The eating area consists of many long picnic tables in a large screened in porch. While you're close to the traffic on Route 1, it is not a negative. The service is excellent, the prices are reasonable and the food is great! I think I discovered a new hangout for our gang.

During the off season a group of us usually meets at the Purple Parrot restaurant on Sunday nights for our weekly gathering of camaraderie. During the summer months (when the horde of locusts, er tourists descend on Rehoboth Beach) we avoid going downtown to Rehoboth because of the crowds and the expense (metered parking.) We don't usually renew our Sunday night get togethers until October. I'll send out e-mails today and see if the gang wants to meet this Sunday at this new wonderful restaurant.

I thoroughly enjoyed dinner last night with Wayne. Now this is the way to celebrate a birthday, take a friend out to a restaurant that serves his favorite food. Wayne had the crab cakes (broiled) and said they were the best he has had since New Orleans (his original home.) Now that's saying something.

Life is so short and transitory. Earlier this week, near this restaurant we had a fatal car accident caused by a drunk, overly aggressive driver. In fact, traffic on Route 1 was held up yesterday for a couple of hours while the authorities surveyed the area where the accident occurred. I assume this was for the court case. The driver who caused the fatal accident is now at the Sussex correctional institute. At least that is one less dangerous driver off of the road. But I couldn't help thinking last night that either Wayne or I could have been the victim that this drunk driver rear ended. In fact, Wayne has been rear-ended twice just within the past two months on Route 1. One just never knows when our time is up so it is best to make the most of the time we have on this earth. Yesterday was one of those times. We had a wonderful time and a memory to last us a lifetime.

“Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.”

3 comments:

  1. I love sea food. The best, cheap, places here are down in San Diego, or up in Santa Barbara. It would be nice to have a place just minutes away. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    I'm not a seafood person but I can handle crab cakes. I'm not wild about them but I can appreciate the taste as long as it's not too fishy. What I really love about The Surfing Crab is that it is literally just down the road from me. I don't have to fight traffic! And they have the best blackened chicken and char grilled hamburgers. It's all I can do to refrain from not going there again today.

    ReplyDelete