Thursday, July 23, 2009

Crazy "Birther" Challenges Obama's Citizenship

By now most of you have heard about the crazy nut bag lady at the town hall meeting of Delaware's representative Mike Castle that was held in Georgetown, Delaware. I live a few miles from Georgetown and thus not far from this crazy lady and the equally crazy folks who cheered her on after she made her demand "I want my country back!"

I retired to Delaware a few years back for several reasons, the main one being a more tolerant attitude towards me and my life partner of 45 years. Prior to moving to Delaware we lived in Pennsylvania. For several years we lived next to a homophobic neighbor who made life miserable for us even going to the extent in calling the police to have us arrested for just being gay. Yes, that is the reason she gave to our township police chief. She said "Isn't it illegal to be gay?" The police chief told her to leave his office. She did but continued to be the Neighbor from Hell until she eventually moved. Seeing the video of this crazy woman at Representative Mike Castle's meeting reminded me of my former neighbor.

When I decided to move to southern Delaware (Sussex County) I quickly discovered there are two distinct part of Sussex County. There is the more liberal and heavily populated gay area of Sussex County which is east of Route 1 with some spillover to the west side. However, the farther you get into the western side of Sussex County (Georgetown, which is the county seat); you will encounter people like this crazy nut bag and her equally crazy nut bag neighbors who think this country belongs only to them.

A longtime friend of mine lives on 22 acres of woodland outside Georgetown. He and his partner are gay. They live in their doublewide with there doors always locked. They live in fear that their neighbors will find out they are gay and burn down their home. This is not an unfounded fear. A few days ago I visited my friend and he was very upset. It seems that his neighbor is encroaching on his land. He discovered this while walking the perimeter of his property and his neighbor confronted him and warned him not to walk "back there" any more. My friend is scared to death. He wants to move. I can understand. He is in Crazy Land. He lives in the same area as the people at this meeting who cheered this crazy birther lady on. I would be scared too. In fact, I am. I thank God I live on this side of Route 1. At least I have some protection from these people who "want their country back." What they really mean is they want the country they knew which was all white and all straight.

I remember seeing a movie many years ago called "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers." That's what people like this remind me of; you never know where they are going to show up. The really scary thing is they are among us. God help us.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer C.8:23 AM

    These people are truly and completely insane. They aren't even living in reality--I have to say they truly frighten me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. These people have been shown Obama's birth certificate and yet still refuse to believe that Obama has a birth certificate. The birthers thus pass the test for insanity. This is not a harmless discussion. People like the man who shot up the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C a few weeks back listen and act on these insane accusations. These people truly are dangerous. We have more to fear from the terrorists in our midst than we do from foreign terrorists. These people are terrorists. There is no difference. Just because they wrap themselves in the flag and claim God is on their side doesn't make them any less dangerous. In fact, it makes them more dangerous

    ReplyDelete