Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu?




A couple of weeks ago I had the worst cold of my life. Now I'm thinking maybe I had this strain of Swine Flu. I had all the symptoms. Usually when I get a cold it lasts no more than three days. This cold was going on ten days and I was sinking fast. I had no appetite at all. I was sleeping all day and all night and still getting up exhausted. I couldn't eat. Not even a bowl of cereal. The third day of my cold I tried to eat my usual breakfast of corn chex and a banana. It ended up in the garbage disposal.


Finally, when I realized I couldn't eat and I was getting weaker, I decided to take the Big Step and go to the doctor. Never in my life have I gone to a doctor for a cold before. What really scared me was that I had trouble breathing. I felt like I was suffocating. I couldn't get a deep breath.


So I called the doctor's office, which is just down the road from where I live. Of course the weather outside was cold, windy and rain. Just the kind of weather conducive to making a cold even worse. I arrived at the doctor's office. Almost on cue, I coughed up a hunk of greenish, black phlegm. She said "This is serious." She examined me and suspected that I had pneumonia in my left lung. She told me to go to the nearest medical center to have an x-ray. She also commended me for "walking into the doctor's office instead of waiting to be transported to the emergency room on a stretcher." I understood exactly what she was saying. I felt like I was sinking fast.


I got the chest x-ray. I didn't have pneumonia but close to it. I was given a prescription for an anti-biotic. When I got home I took the first of the two daily pills. Then I went to bed.....again. The next day I woke up I felt like I was going to live. I was still very sick but I felt like I had rounded the bend. I would survive. It took me another whole week to completely get to the point where I am now where I can take a deep breath. I felt like I had a close call.


Every year warnings we are reminded to get flu shots, especially for senior citizens (of which I am one now.) I got my flu shot earlier this year but apparently it didn't prevent my cold. I read that this Swine Flu virus strain isn't susceptible to the standard flu shot. That's why I think I had the Swine Flu.


I hope I never get anything like this again. It was very scary. I felt like I was sinking in quicksand. I was getting weaker and weaker everyday. The really frightening part about it was that part of my just wanted to go to sleep to get away from all the coughing, congestion and sinus pressure. The only thing I can equate it to is stories that I've heard of people freezing to death. Even though they're in a great deal of pain and discomfort, they just want to go to sleep to end it. That's the way I felt. Very scary.


Well, I'm back again with all my strength. I'm working today from 12 to 3. This evening Bill and I are having over our good friend Bob C. for dinner. I made my special buttermilk chocolate cake this morning for the event. I have the Pinot Noir chilling in the refrigerator. The crock pot is cooking the mushroom beef stew in Chablis wine. Now I have to make the icing for the cake. Yes, it is good to be among the living again. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment