Thursday, April 09, 2009

Not a Smooth Week




This morning I woke up to a cold. My first cold since I moved to Delaware in April of 2006. I’m blaming it on this crazy spring weather we’re having here in southern Delaware. One day is a glorious warm, brisk spring day. The next day the cold winds are relentless. No wonder I have a cold. People all around me have had colds. Bill just had one last week. The breakfast hostess at work was diagnosed with pneumonia. I'm surprised that I haven’t come down with a cold before now.

I’m still playing around with getting the rear window shield wiper fixed on my car. This is getting to be an all week process. A couple of weeks ago I took my 98 Subaru in for a major overhaul. I had just hit 111,000 miles and I decided that this car is going to go another 90,000 miles. I can’t afford a new car. This car has to last. My real window shield wiper wasn’t working so I decided to go for it and get that fixed too. First time out in the rain and the rear window shield wiper doesn’t work. So I call the garage where I had it fixed. Coincidentally the garage is called The Garage. This was on Friday. They tell me it will take more than a few minutes to check the motor. I worked at the Inn on Monday. I took the car in Tuesday. They check it and told me I would have to leave my car with them, which I did yesterday. Then they tell me they have to order a new motor. I picked up my car. Now I’m waiting for the new motor to come in so I can leave my car with them again. I can see where this is going. I’m wondering if they even put a new motor in my car. But how can you tell? I don’t need this stress. This is turning into another nightmare.

My spring bulbs are in glorious bloom. I love the change of seasons. This past winter seemed so long. Six months of cold, windy weather. We’ve had a lot of rain the past few weeks which has produced wonderful green grass all around. I hope we don’t have the dry parched summers of the past few years. I can’t wait until I can get outside and work on my flower beds that border the back acre of our lot. I’ve tried but the winds are so relentless. It’s no fun working in winds that gust up to 30 mph. It’s almost like working in a low grade hurricane. Not fun. It blows my hat off and musses my hair.

Bill and I are trying to arrange a time to visit our friend Big Bob. Bob is our longtime friend who is losing his mental capabilities. He’s not getting any better. I talked to him on the phone the other night. Another one sided conversation. I do all the talking. I ask him how he’s doing. He says “Okay.” I ask him what he’s been doing. He says “Nothing.” And that is about the extent of his input into the conversation. “Okay” “Nothing.” It’s sad. He seems to enjoy our in person visits even though he seems confused. Sometimes I wonder if this is all my imagination. Maybe it is and I’m the one who is losing it. At this point in my life, nothing surprises me. It's scary.

One thing I am really glad about this week is my decision not to continue with my Censes address canvasser job. I would have been wiped out if I was out traipsing through neighborhoods attempting to Map Spot Housing Units. Bless their hearts, those people who are out there doing this hard work of verifying addresses. It is an important job and I have all the respect in the world for those who are able to go out everyday with their Hand Held Computers (HHC) to verify addresses. I wish them only the best.

I’ve decided to clean up my blog site. I removed links which I never go to. I don’t have time to explore different blogs. The times I have gone on a search for blogs, they generally are overloaded with content. They’re confusing. I like to keep my blog simple. I have two blogs, a personal one and a genealogy blog. I removed links to those blogs which aren’t updated. I also temporarily removed a link to my friend’s blog who is having trouble with his blog address. In the past year he has had both his e-mail address and his blog address hijacked. I don’t know how or why that happened but I’m totally confused now as to what his address is. I consider blogs a reflection of the blogger’s personality. That is why my blog has a lot of music and a minimum of soap boxing and links. Some of my friends have complained about the music but there is always the option of turning the music off. But if my blog has a mish mash of content, then I get confused to say nothing of how it affects the reader of my blog. Thus, clean up time on the blog. No offense meant toany of my friends who links have been removed from my blog.

I want to thank my friend Ben for suggesting that I use Facebook for my social networking and another outlet for my expressions. I’m having a lot of fun with my Facebook account. I love it. As we go through life, every now and then we encounter caring people who unselfishly offer to help enrich our life. I have been very fortunate in my life that I have met many such people. Even though I haven’t had a smooth week, I know that I’m living the good life retired in Delaware. Now for some rest so I can be at my best tonight at the hotel.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:50 PM

    Hello Ron,

    Sorry to hear you have a cold, but you did good not having one before now. I wrote a comment to your last entry but didn't send it. I felt better just writing it. I was appalled that someone would talk to you that way. I don't know you personally but anyone who reads your blogs knows you're a good guy & definately not out to cause the government anymore losses. lol.. I consider you stepping down as a good deed. At least you let someone else have a chance at a job, rather than taking a paycheck & doing a half way job which would make it hard for the actual census taker. As my mother always said, "if you can't say something good about someone, then just keep your mouth shut!"

    Are those poppies in your pic? I wanted to plant some of them this year but I guess it's too late. We are trying to get more and more perennials in our landscape. We have so many flower borders around our house & trees that they are getting harder & harder to keep weed free, especially as we get older. One of my husband's hobbies is growing hostas & ever-blooming daylilies. He supples one road side stand & greenhouse with their summer supply & others he sells on the weekends in front of our property. I love flowers, grasses & shrubs & find yard work relaxing except for the pain that follows the next day.
    I hope you feel better soon.

    Take care,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    Just go to http://nitewrit.blogspot.com and copy that as a link.

    If you think you're confused, you oughta see how confused I've been with this nonsence.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lar,

    I'm still not sure what your URL is. You've had some year with all this hijacking. I didn't realize that "nitewrite" was such a valuable commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran,

    Thank you again for your kind and understanding comments. Some friends advised me not to even respond to the hurtful and cruel comments that "Census Taker" made but I felt I had too. I did feel guilty about quitting the job but I realized I don't have the personality for that type of job. I couldn't see wasting my time or the government's money by performing a job that my heart wasn't in it. It would be better to let someone else have the job who likes that kind of work and needs the money. I'll make this my last comment on the Census job. It was another one of life's learning experiences. I learned something. Hopefully I won't repeat that mistake in the future.

    No, those aren't poppies in the flower picture I posted to my blog. Those are tulips that are past their prime. That little corner by the garage door was always so sad that I decided to put a splash of color in it this year. It turned out just as I had planned. I also planted a lot of cream colored white tulips around the house. I got the tulips from where I work. The owner of the hotel uses tulips as annuals and he was having them thrown out. I rescued one bag of "orphan" tulips so they could have another year of splendid glory. I'll have to take some pictures and post them to a future blog.

    Thanks again for all your kind support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:41 AM

    In some areas, the Census Bureau decided to lay off/demote willing workers immediately after finishing training, because the regional office people changed their minds again about how they wanted to arrange the crews. So your choice to decline further work immediately after finishing training is just a drop in the bucket compared to the training wasted on those who didn't have much choice in the matter. ;)

    I enjoyed reading your blog posts about your experience in census training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bring up a good point. In my long job career, I've been downsized, reassigned, and job eliminated. In one notorious case I was fired from a job because my new boss was a homophobe. The companies that I worked for on those jobs didn't feel guilty about "wasting" all the training they had given me. While I initially felt guilty about quitting my Census job, now I'm feeling less and less guilty. Jobs go both ways. Sometimes the employer decides to make a change and sometimes the employee makes the change. Neither one is "guilty" of anything. The situation can probably be explained best as one of my fellow census address canvassers said on that first day we were out in the field on our own without a trainer, "it is what it is." Exactly.

    Thanks again Fran for your comforting words of support. Thank you also for your comment about my blog posts. I enjoy writing about my experiences. We all have a story to tell. I'm glad I have the opportunity to share mine.

    ReplyDelete