Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Buttermilk Chocolate Cake




Time for an upbeat blog posting. Too many of my recent blogs have been downbeat, reflecting my funk over the weather and the cold I just got over.

Pictured is my third making of Buttermilk Chocolate cake. I found this recipe on the side of a Swan's Down cake flour box. I've never made a good chocolate cake before (except my German Chocolate cake, my father's favorite that I haven't made since he died in August of 2000.) This one called for 2 1/2 cups of buttermilk. Two sticks of butter. Two cups of sugar. Low calorie it's not. But it is GOOD! In the past two weeks I've made it three times.

Company is coming tonight so this will be my piece de resistance (don't worry about the spelling, you know what I'm talking about.) On the menu is crock pot beef stew with mushrooms cook in Chablis wine. Vegetables are smashed potatoes and Caesar salad. Wine served will be Pinot Noir. Better than any overpriced Rehoboth Beach restaurant, that's for sure. And I don't have to worry about driving home after a glass of wine.......or two. Dining with friends while the wind and rain whips around outside. Doesn't get much better than that. Simple pleasures for a simple man. That would be me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:42 PM

    Nice looking cake Ron! I'd love to have the recipe if you would like to share.

    It sounds like you are feeling better physically & mentally. The nice weather, great friends sharing a meal & the blue bird of happiness will have that effect on you, won't it?

    I had planned to work out in the yard today getting my bedding plants in but I found it too chilly. I guess the sudden difference in temperature along with the wind was the problem. Tomorrow sounds like more of the same so maybe later in the week.

    Take care!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Fran, things are back to normal. I was flying low there for awhile. Probably had a lot to do with the weather. I'm out for more plants today. Be careful with this change of temperature. I think that's how I caught my cold. I took one of my walks in the cold and wind. Too much.

    ReplyDelete