Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Vista Frustration




My PC Guy just left. Well, almost all of my problems are fixed. I still cannot access my AOL account on my new Dell computer. The problem is the Vista operating system. The security controls are so tight it won’t even let me, as the administrator, create files to fix the problem. Tom will have to stop back on Friday to complete the job.

According to Tom, all the problems are the result of Vista. When I uninstalled the AOL software, it caused “something” to be reset. Thus, I couldn’t access the enhanced viewer on my Ancestry.com web site (used for viewing original documents like census records.) It also caused the previous downloaded version of Adobe Flash Player to disappear. He has that working again. Only in Internet Explorer though. It still doesn’t work through G Mail. Thank you Vista!

BTW, DON’T BUY VISTA! IF YOU SEE IT, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION! BUY IT AND YOU WILL SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES. NIGHTMARES, HEADACHES, FRUSTRATION, AND WASTED TIME. What were they thinking when they devised this “upgrade?” Surely they were not thinking of us, the humble PC user. Geek arrogance reigns supreme.

After three hours, Tom had to leave for an appointment. He will be back on Friday to check my problem with my HP Photosmart All-in-One printer. I can’t blame this problem on Vista. This problem was caused by me when I tried to print a picture yesterday and the printer jammed up. In the process, I forgot that I’m not supposed to print the picture through the HP software but instead use the Windows software. By using the HP software, I changed the printer’s drivers. Now it won’t print. That makes sense doesn’t it?

Notice how the software companies routinely put out their “upgrades” without thoroughly testing them? They take it for granted that the market place (that’s us, the lowly PC user), will work out the bugs in their software. Business arrogance reigns supreme.

My friend Lar responds on my blog, “What a nightmare.” He’s got that right. My friend Jim says there will be a day when everything runs and I can enjoy using my computer and peripheral equipment. I say, that is a day I’m looking forward to. In the meantime, I’m going to spend a good part of the evening and tomorrow morning, updating my genealogy files on Family Tree Maker. That is my relaxation. I need it bad.

BTW, I could not include a picture in this blog posting because I get a message "There were errors during the upload." Since I got this message on both of my computers, I'm assuming it's Blogger that is screwing up now. At least I hope so.

9 comments:

  1. Ron,

    I don't understand the problem with the HP printer. I had the HP All-in-One Printer for several years. What do you mean you used the HP software rather than the windows? is this some new thing with Vista? When I first got the HP Printer it ame with a software disk. I loaded in the PC and everything worked fine thereafter. It just auomatically went to the HP as my default printer. I didn't have to select anything other than print.

    I have a Canon equivalent on the IMac. Haven't had any problems with it either.

    Pictures are loading up to Blogger okay.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. My HP Photosmart All-in-One printer isn't on the PC with Vista. I've had problems with it before. The printer prints great pictures, if you can get it to print. That's the problem. It' tempermental. I can turn on my PC and I don't see the HP Photosmart printer on my Control Panel. The last time I called Tom in, I told him of the problem. He pulled up my Control Panel and there it was! It reappeared. He said he was aware of the problem and HP had sent a patch for the problem.

    My latest problem was I was trying to print a 4 x 6 print. My old windows software only prints fax sheets and full photo sheets (2001 computer, remember.) I went into the HP software and tried to print and it changed the drivers. Now I can't get the scanner to work. It prints photos, but doesn't scan photos. Tom is aware of the glitch. He just didn't have time to fix it today.

    My former boss has the same printer. He says sometimes it only prints black and white when he wants color. Then it will print color.

    What I don't like about this version of HP, is that they have software in there that automatically connects me to their site for their latest promotions and whatever. I don't need that. I only want a dependable printer.

    I'm glad you didn't have any problems with your equipment. If you're lucky, you'll get your turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    I had my turn. Remember last summer? I had tons of problems.It was horrible. I don't wish computer problems on anyone.

    I occassionally had a problem with the HP printer when it did an upgrade, but it was not difficult to fix. What would happen in my case was the printer name would change. I would go to print and get a "printer doesn't exist" or "can't find default printer" message. I would look at the liust and sure enough, there would be a slight change in the name, like an sequence number or something. I would just click that as the default and things were all right.

    There was a way to turn oiff HP upgrades, I forget exactly what because I wanted the system to stay current I didn't turn it off.

    This IMac doesn't really allow any automatic updates. I get an Icon in the dock and a message when an update is available. If I then click on "Update", it asks me for a response before it will proceed. The upgrades work somewhat differently than they did on the Windows PCs and seem to go a lot faster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know your "had your turn" last summer. I was just kidding when I said you'll get your turn. I'm like you, I don't wish computer problems on anyone. I'm ashamed to admit it, but these problems sometimes keep me awake at night. How bad is that?

    Your HP printer problems are exactly the problems I've been having. HP does an upgrade and all of a sudden "Printer doesn't exist." I can't tell you how many times that has happened. You just worded it better than I did (more proof that you're a better writer than I am.)

    Tom is coming back tomorrow. I'll ask him how I can stop the HP upgrades. HP also has something in their program that requires "customer participation" or something like that. I DON'T WANT TO PARTICIPATE! I only want to use the printer that I paid good money for. HP used to be good.

    Is this new direction of HP as result of Carly Fiorina? What a overrated CEO she was. I still see her popping up on TV, even after her McCain campaign fiasco where she put both of her well heeled pumps in her mouth. Go away Carly! Bring back the old HP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jim rossignol9:35 AM

    Ron,

    Just wanted to let know you that through all this your blog hasn't suffered one bit. I congratulate you! Are you still hooked up to the Gateway? Seriously, like I mentioned before, I think you should look up a contact in the Mac marketing department and shoot your blog postings to him or her. Who knows? Most of it is described so succinctly and interestingly. Maybe a nice print campaign featuring Ron the Convert.

    You probably know that your photo came through for today's entry. Perfect!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. jim rossignol9:50 AM

    Okay, a burst of inspiration:

    Vista Recipe for Disaster
    featuring Ron the Convert

    1. purchase a new PC
    2. load Windows Vista
    -- Vista will do the mixing for you!
    3. (start your woes from the blog here)
    4.
    5.
    6.
    7.
    8.
    9.
    10.
    11.
    12. call in Tom the computer guy at $ (true going rate) per hour.
    13. wait six hours, say goodbye to Tom, reschedule him to come back tomorrow
    14. go to bed worn out and frustrated
    15. wake up the next morning
    16. repeat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good Jim. You know why I'm so mad? Because it's my own darn fault. I thought, read, weighed and planned before I made the Big Plunge. Unfortunately, I plunged right back into the cesspool of Microsoft and Dell. One good thing that is coming out of this whole sad episode, I'll never buy Dell or a Windows operting systems again. NEVER.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:47 PM

    I'm so glad I'm still using my 2000 Compaq Presario PC with Windows ME & my orginal Compaq printer. Never had a problem with them & can do most anything I want. I wanted a new one for Christmas & decided to put it off for a while. Now you guys have me scared to even entertain the thought of getting a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous,

    My advice to you is NOT TO GET A COMPUTER WITH VISTA. Foolishly I thought all the complaints about Vista were overblown. I was wrong. It is an unstable system. It's a mine field, you don't know what's going to blow up next. It has been a nightmare.

    The only thing I can figure out it's probably great for gamers but all I want to do is e-mail, blogs, and digitial pictures. Is that asking too much? Apparently. I don't see what this "upgrade" has fixed or improved. Someone please tell me. The most positive comment I've heard so far is "I haven't had any problems with it" which is says "I dodged a bullet." I haven't heard ANYBODY say, "Oh, this is SOOOOOO much better now! It has fixed my previous problems." THERE IS NO REASON TO GO TO VISTA. The Chief Nerd (Gates) knows there is a problem because Microsoft is cutting everybody off at the knees and not even offering support for Windows XP, thus forcing everyone to use Vista.

    I'm still waiting for someone, anyone to give me a good reason to use Vista.

    ReplyDelete