Wednesday, January 07, 2009

List For PC Guy





Here I await my PC Guy (Tom) to fix various and sundry problems I have with my brand spanking new Dell Inspiron computer. Oh how I rue the day I decided to purchase another Dell but that's another whole story.


Not only do I have problems with my new Dell computer, I'm having problems with my HP Photosmart All-in-One printer. It has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it scans pictures, and sometimes not. This is about the 4th time I'm having Tom look at it. I've lost count the number of times we have installed and uninstalled the HP printer software.


Now I'm having a problem with my AOL mail software. I made the BIG MISTAKE of cleaning out my In Box (a New Year's resolution gone horribly wrong) and I discovered the "Quick Read" feature on my AOL In Box mail wasn't working. I uninstalled and reinstalled the AOL software on both computers; my old Gateway and the new Dell. The AOL software now works on the Gateway (well, sort of) and doesn't work on the Dell (so what else is new? Just another fun feature of Vista I suspect.)


Last night I had a new surprise. Now my music doesn't work on my blog nor on Playlist.com. Something to do with 64 bits versus 32 bits. What's that? Then, just to top everything else off, the Enhanced Feature Adobe download won't work for my Ancestry.com site. I need that feature to read the census records. Doesn't work folks. Again, I suspect Vista is the culprit here. No wonder businesses don't want to "upgrade" to Vista. IT'S NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.


My simple question is? Why can't they make computers and printers that work for the average person? I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can figure out most things. Not this time. I'm getting overwhelmed by the sheer complexity of just running this damn thing.


Below is my beginning list for Tom when he arrives at 11 am or thereabouts this morning. This is what I seem to spending most of my time doing lately instead of sending out clever e-mails, writing fascinating blog entries, and genealogy research. Something isn't right here.

List for Tom

1) Install AOL software on Dell computer

2) Add back AOL PFC files on Dell computer

3) Add MSN sign on to e-mail on Dell computer.


4) Make small font size on Google and AOL on Dell

5) Check double printer setup and wireless cords on Dell


6) When exiting “Welcome to Dell” from Google, screen hiccups over 70 times and leaves images on desktop

7) How to change short cut icons on Dell desktop


8) Hookup wired keyboard and mouse on Dell computer

9) Music doesn’t play on blog on Dell computer through Google. Can’t use Playlist.com. See note for Adobe download 64 bit versus 32 bit.


10) Cannot download Adobe flash player enhanced image viewer on Ancestry.com on Dell computer

11) Where is the refresh key on the Dell computer? One the Gateway?


12) HP Photosmart All-in-One printer not scanning – suspect drivers are wrong again since I tried to print through HP instead of Windows

13) Add back AOL PFC files on Gateway computer


14) How do I use flash drive on both computers? Want to back up Palm and genealogy files from Gateway computer – also move photos between computers on flash drive

15) Clean out some old programs no longer used in Gateway computer

4 comments:

  1. jim rossignol10:35 AM

    Ron,

    Some list! Do you have a spare room for Tom?

    Not to make light of one of the most frustrations situations imaginable today. We've all had our Dell adventures--although admittedly probably not on this level--and their isn't much to smile about. Maybe looking back in a few years after you get your new Mac :)

    I think you know you're in trouble with a computer company who now offers their old operating system as a "bonus" along with the new one. Says it all.

    I do find it interesting however that your misadventures make for good blog reading. The old "conflict equals better drama" I guess.

    I mean, if you turned your computer on and everything was just peachy, I doubt you'd give it more than a few sentences. And who'd want to read more than that? Ah, life!

    Maybe after this is all over--and one day it will be--I'm sure that you'll dedicate at least one entry to the joys of trouble-free computing. And I'll look forward to that!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,
    I was so hesitant to make another blog posting of my computer frustrations. It is boring,epecially to me because all I want it to do is work. I don't do any funny stuff with my computer. I don't visit strange web sites and I certainly don't download anything, anytime. I'm very, very careful what I do with my computer. But, this new Dell computer with Vista seems to have a mind of it's own. Especially when the screen hiccups over 70 times each time I exit Google mail (because I can't get into AOL mail on my Dell.) Thus I'm left with 70 plus images on my screen that I have to close one at a time. Wireless printer, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard? Begone. All I want to do is read and send e-mail, upload my digital pictures, post to my blog, and update my genealogy files on Ancestry.com. Occasionally I do a web search for information. I also pay my bills on the Internet and check my bank accounts. That's it. But it's getting so when I turn the computer on in the morning I don't know what's going to happen next. What I think the problem is that Microsoft has again loaded way more features into Vista that we could ever use thus slowing down and complicating the system. Ever try to use the Mail Merge feature in Word? I still haven't figured that out after 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    What a nightmare.

    I use to know how to use the mail merge. Use to use it a lot, but haven't had a need for a while now, so probably don't remember.

    Your music is playing when I go to your Blog, so I guess the problem must be in your machine if it doesn't play for you.

    Hope it all gets straightened out soon.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,

    Tom just called. He's on his way. I know the music problem is on the new Dell. No doubt it has something to do with the Vista operating system. Another major scam Mr. Softee and his gang have pulled on the world. I got suckered in again. This will be the last time though. If I live long enough, my next PC will be a MAC. I'm done with Windows and all their "upgrades."

    ReplyDelete