Saturday, January 17, 2009

Free At Last!


The last week or so, I have experienced periodic feelings of euphoria. Butterflies would invade my stomach. I thought, "What is this? Am I finally going to with the Powerball Lottery?" But, I check my Powerball tickets twice a week (Thursdays and Sundays) and alas, I am no closer now to winning than I was three years ago when I purchased my first ticket.

Then, it was a day or two ago I realized what was causing my feeling of euphoria. This feeling was much like the feeling I used to experience as a kid right before Christmas. "What was Santa going to bring ME?" But this was much more than the feeling in anticipation of Christmas. Much bigger. Then I realized. George W. Bush will soon be gone from our lives. GONE! Hard to believe. The nightmare of the past eight years is finally coming to an end. Somehow our country has survived, barely. It is finally going to be over. Bush's smirking presence, his cluelessness, his arrogance, his stupidity, will be gone. GONE! IT'S OVER!

Bush is even put his ranch in Crawford up for sale. This is the same ranch he used as a prop during the past eight years that he was just a "Good ole Texas boy." He's moving into a house that he hasn't even seen in Houston. Talk about lack of curiosity. He left the selection of the house up to his wife Laura. Reportedly Bush is working on his library and his memoirs. Now there is an oxymoron if there ever was one. A George W. Bush library. The George W. Bush memoirs. After eight years of lies who would buy a book of lies? His base? Perhaps.

Some of my conservative friends have told me that they are going to give Barack Obama "a chance." Notice the unwitting arrogance of such a statement. They say they will "wait and see" how he does. This attitude truly baffles me because I don't see how we could have done much worse than the past eight years under the grand therapy session of George W. Bush trying to prove to his father that he wasn't a loser and wastrel. If nothing else remember this about George W. Bush, he was our first president who had a criminal conviction (DUI.)

Below is a response I left on my friend Lar's blog. Lar had posted a thoughtful and invocative piece on the direction that our country may be going under our new president, Barack Obama.

Lar,

That was a thoughtful and heartfelt posting Lar. It was invocative and hopeful. Today we are at the threshold of a new dawn. The last eight years have been the worst in our nation's history. Our country was led by an incompetent enabled by a coterie of criminals and self aggrandizers to the brink of financial and moral collapse. The only good thing that can be said of George W. Bush, is that his monumental failure as a leader has cleared the path for Barack Obama to the presidency. Just as Herbert Hoover lead to Franklin D. Roosevelt; Jimmy Carter lead to Ronald Reagan; and Richard Nixon lead to Bill Clinton. George W. Bush has cleared the path for the resurrection of our country by the election of Barack Obama.

From an administration that caused untold destruction to America's moral standing in the world by condoning torture, repealing the right of habeas corpus, and eavesdropping on American citizens, ignoring death and destruction during one of the worst natural disasters in our country's history; our country now is only a few days away from resurrecting its rightful place as the moral leader of the world.

I thank God that this country has proved itself strong enough to withstand the assault on our country's Christian-Judaeo constitutional foundations by Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld and the rest of the criminal co-conspirators the Republican administration of the past eight years.

The heavy yoke of bi-partisanship and of pitting segments of our society against one another just so the "base" would continue to support the criminals of the Bush Administration and put them back in power so they could continue raping our country with their grossly unfair tax cuts for the rich only, will soon be lifted from our backs.

It will be a pleasure to see the future leader of our country without wincing in embarrassment at his latest struggle with the English language and his frat boy smirking arrogance. It will be with pleasure to see the future leader of our country visit groups around country of all people instead of the captive audiences of military academies and bases. It will be a pleasure to see all the citizens of our country (not just white conservatives) surround him, genuinely smiling and happy to be in his presence. It will be a pleasure to respect our new leader instead of making excuses for him and blaming someone else for his failures. It will be a pleasure to see George W. Bush go away.

I am so happy over this prospect that I have butterflies in my stomach from the anticipation of Inauguration Day, January 20th. The day this country goes forward into a new era with pride and dignity. I thank God for producing such a man as Barack Obama. I thank God that the majority of voters have seen through the lies and deceptions of the past eight years and voted Barack Obama as our next president and leader of our country. My heart is overflowing with hope and love for our country and all of its citizens. The New Day is here. To quote Martin Luther King:

"Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."
-- "I Have a Dream" speech, August 28, 1963

5 comments:

  1. My e-mails have been filled with 'thank god he's gone' statements; family and friends are phoning each other - we're all delighted just as you are.

    I should send you a few of the e-mails because they are full of #$&*(#&$*(##@)(*&#$&), but I decided since everyone had been so openly honest and candid, they might not appreciate my 'forwarding' their innermost thoughts.

    Suffice to say, it is a happy day coming - the 19th is my day at the dentist; might have a little pain that lasts for a few days, but with the 20th the next day, I think the joy from that will make me feel 'just fine'.

    A new year; a new chance for America - let's hope we're all smart enough to maximize it by digging in and doing the things sound citizens should be doing. It will take all of us together, to really bring us up and out of the muck that actually started after the only decent Republican president (Dwight David Eisenhower) left office.

    What GWB did was do the 'dirty number' for 8 years in such a way, not even the most disinterested resident of this country could avoid seeing and experiencing the results of his disasterous decisions and the cruelty of his mind; the man is truly evil.

    Read the book: THEY CAME TO KILL - there were 8; 8 man - Bush gave us a year for each of those men; along with his cohorts in crime....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops - 8 MEN....sorry....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane,

    I am surprised at the euphoric feelings I'm having knowing that that the worst president in the history of this country will soon be out of office. It was a long eight years. All one has to do is look at the mess this country is in now to realize how truly evil Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the rest of the enablers of these criminals were the past eight years. Our national nightmare will soon be over. All that will be left is Fox network and Rush Limbaugh belowing in the wind to the remaining true believers. They are in the wilderness now. They have destroyed the Republican party as we knew it. Good riddance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jim rossignol8:23 PM

    Ron,

    Good observation on the Crawford Ranch prop.

    But let's not forget who our real enemy was:
    D I C K....C H E Y N N E

    Yes, free at last. Well, somewhat anyway.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree with you that the real enemy (and war criminal) is former Vice President Dick Cheney. I still can't get the picture of his office walk in safe out of my mind. What a piece of work this "patriot" was. Good riddance!

    ReplyDelete