Monday, December 08, 2008

100 Things I've Done



I'm at it again, stealing ideas for lists. This idea of "100 Things I've Done" I absconded from my friend's blog "On Transmigration." I've made a few changes to the list, some of the items were a bit too self serving like "Selling Girl Scout Cookies", "Giving too much to charity" and "Buying a stranger a meal at a restaurant." These things are so patently ridiculous that I could not in good faith include them in a credible list. That said, here is my corrected list of "100 Things I've Done." The bold items are the things I've done. The items not highlighted are still on my Bucket List.


1. Started my own blog

2. Acted in a play - grade school and high school

3. Played in a band - high school and I loved it

4. Visited Hawaii - got close one year

5. Watched a meteor shower - if I did I didn't know it

6. Had a paper route - favorite all time job

7. Been to Disneyland/World - late in life - won a trip at age 59

8. Climbed a mountain - almost killed me

9. Held a praying mantis - frequently

10. Sung a solo - I sing worse than Roseanne Barr.

11. Bungee jumped - absolutely no desire to do this

12. Visited Paris

13. Watched lightning at sea - isn't this dangerous?

14. Caught a football (or baseball) - incapable - gay gene - which hand do I hold up?

15. Adopted a child - something I always wanted to do but probably best I didn't. One of the lives I saved.

16. Had food poisoning - bad hamburger, only my kidney stone was more painful.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty - I walked to the top of the Washington Monument once and the Monument in Provincetown, Mass.

18. Grown my own vegetables - cheaper to buy them at the store.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France

20. Slept on an overnight train - tight quarters - lost my pajama bottoms

21. Had a pillow fight

22. Hitchhiked – when I was in the Army - the uniform guaranteed a ride

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill - never had the nerve

24. Built a snow fort

25. Held a lamb - I've held a lambs wool sweater, very soft.

26. Gone skinny dipping - only once and it was very invigorating to be that free in spite of the shocking shrinkage exposure

27. Run a Marathon - no thanks - all that banging and being out of breath - why?

28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice

29. Seen a total eclipse - yes and thought is that all there is?

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset - almost daily, hundreds of pictures

31. Hit a home run - are you kidding? The gay gene again.

32. Been on a cruise – no but I would like to someday - a Bucket List item

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person - yes and I was surprised at how big it is. Big impresses me.

34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestor - yes, the best experience of my whole life

35. Seen an Amish community - many times

36. Taught myself a new language - no, another Bucket List item

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied - nice while it lasted

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person

39. Gone rock climbing

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David

41. Sung karaoke

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt

43. Rode a horse (or pony) - always wanted to, never had the chance

44. Visited Africa

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight - is cruising the same?

46. Been transported in an ambulance - several times - very dramatic, always fun

47. Had my portrait painted - yes, it didn't look like me

48. Gone deep sea fishing - my Pop used to but never took me with him

49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris - I've been to the top of the Empire State Bldg.

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling

52. Kissed in the rain - I've kissed a lot of other places though

53. Played in the mud - I'm way too fastidious for this kind of activity

54. Gone to a drive-in theater - many times, I am that old

55. Been in a movie - what kind of movie?

56. Visited the Great Wall of China

57. Started a business - yes, hard stuff, didn't last long

58. Taken a martial arts class - someone could get hurt doing this.

59. Visited Russia

60. Served at a soup kitchen

61. Had a gun fired at me - they missed. Scared the crap out of me.

62. Gone whale watching - again, very impressed like I was with Niagra Falls. Whales are big.


63. Got flowers for no reason - who would do that for me? Surprise me.

64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma – no, I like to keep my punctures to a minimum

65. Gone sky diving - again, are you kidding? Splat!

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp

67. Bounced a check - I've missed a few credit card payments by accident

68. Flown in a helicopter

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy - Viewmaster, I'm still impressed by 3-D

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial - big, I was impressed again

71. Eaten Caviar - I've eaten roe, does that count?

72. Pieced a quilt

73. Stood in Times Square - no, New York City doesn't impress me

74. Toured the Everglades

75. Been fired from a job – oh yes, I'm claustrophobic. I don't like closets.

76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London - Bucket List item again - all of England

77. Broken a bone - dislocated my knee once. Does that count?

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle - added at least 5 years to my life.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person - saw it from the air once

80. Published a book - no but my next grand goal which I will accomplish - a family history book

81. Visited the Vatican

82. Bought a brand new car - twice so far, maybe one more time

83. Walked in Jerusalem

84. Had my picture in the newspaper - the neighbors were impressed

85. Read the entire Bible

86. Visited the White House - nice but I wasn't all that impressed. Wasn't that big

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating - my Pop made me do it

88. Had chickenpox - no fun at all, sick as a dog

89. Saved someone’s life - several

90. Sat on a jury - never, always wanted to

91. Met someone famous - Milton Berle coming out of an elevator with a wet towel on his head

92. Joined a book club - who hasn't?

93. Lost a loved one

94. Had a baby – not likely. It takes two to Tango and I don't Tango with women

95. Seen the Alamo in person

96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake

97. Been involved in a lawsuit - yes, because of the gay discrimination job loss

98. Hit an animal with my car - unfortunately several times, unavoidable

99. Been stung by a bee - and a wasp, and yellow-jacket

100.Built a house - two.....so far

8 comments:

  1. jim rossignal9:29 AM

    Ron,

    Requests for future blogs on days you get stuck for material (special request for those marked with *)

    22,29,47,54*,57*,75*,78,89*,91

    Jim

    p.s. re: "Visit" post comment: Have you considered contacting Apple to see if they have any interest in turning your Dell experiences into a commercial? Could be the start of something big! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    All good suggestions! I will take your advice. All interesting stories to be told. I should tell them before dementia sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Okay, I am going to take your 100 list here and put my own answers on my "Write On" Blog.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of Dell, they now charge $12.95 if you call in for customer support, and request AN AMERICAN who can 'speaka da English'....

    Crazy as I see it, and it might lead to others doing the same thing.

    Pay $25 or $50 for each piece of luggage on the airlines, and pay extra so you can 'understand' the tech' on the other end of the line.

    To me, it's the end of the line for Dell - I'd boycott the crap out them; if the unit is sold to an American address, then TALK AMERICAN at NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!!

    They've got their sales all over the world; they pay a pittance salary to those in foreign lands to 'answer your call', and they continue to bilk the hell out of the consumer.

    Is it possible that my 23 years in the electronics and PC industry is 'coloring my thinking', possible....

    At least when I have a problem with my much less costly computer, I get an intelligent and intellible as well as an 'English-speaking' professional on the telephone and get my answers accurately and quickly......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, and the best answer is to either be an electronics engineer or married to one (as I am) who BUILDS OUR COMPUTERS 'from scratch' - about 2/3 less expensive, and 3 times the performance.

    So for me, my husband 'speaks English', and that's all I need to keep me 'up and running' with NO SERVICE CALLS OR CALLS TO TECH' SERVICE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, a friend of mine in New York are sharing 'prose and poetry' - she does her version, and I use my 'viewpoint' to alter her version.

    Fun....

    Here's my reply to her thinking; maybe you'd like to give it a go too....

    Diane

    Tears and rain - Tears run like rain
    But I have no intention of surrendering anything
    Least of all, my soul
    My skin is my skin; the clothes I wear only serve
    To project either a status within the community, or to simply
    Keep my body warm from the winter cold.
    I have chosen neither darkness nor cold, but found a tiny place
    Where the sun peeks through the tumbling
    Corn crib where once my dad stored his harvest, and
    Now I find I can harness the warm rays of the sun
    If I'll just lay down carefully where the hole in the roof
    Is larger, and if it should rain, I can
    Scoot to the far corner where the weathered roof
    Has still managed to stand up to the rain and snow
    Only to possibly be challenged and broken
    By a heavy sleet storm
    Which I choose to believe will never come.
    I have never felt shy about screaming out loud; it is good for relieving tension
    And I love the sounds of my shrieks; it has even brought the crows
    To the rafters because they've been a bit curious
    About this noise that challenges even their own
    Cawing and squawking during the September rains.
    I find that no meaning easily revealed
    Is a meaning not worth pursuing;
    However, I can put meaning
    Into anything I choose to do, and that
    Is my freedom, my control, and my comfort.

    RIGHT NOW I'M LISTENING TO 'CAROL OF THE BELLS' - I've sung it so many times in various choirs, and love playing it (when they use an instrument).

    Beautiful....refreshing way to say 'good bye', and talk to you after the New Year. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane,

    If Dell indeed is charging $12.95 per help call to talk to an English person, it is the end of them. I agree with you. This has just gotten too ridiculous now. It's no surprise that these companies go out of business. Look at the American auto car makers. I would never buy an American made car, never. I'm sorry I ordered my computer from Dell. I have it now so I'll make the best of it. If I have problems I would rather pay my friend Tom than to take my chances with the "help" line of Dell. They do suck. I made a mistake buying my new comptuer from them.

    ReplyDelete