Monday, November 10, 2008

The Birthday Boy





Another birthday ended yesterday. This year it was somewhat low key. I worked at the Inn during the day. I hung around about an hour after my shift ended at 3 pm (after clocking out of course) to show Monica (my relief) this fabulous new web site called Find A Grave.com. Then it was off to home, shower and change to meet my friends at the Purple Parrot in Rehoboth Beach for our regular Sunday night get together. Thus ended a good day. At 67 years old, it was agreed that I am officially an Old Geezer. Checking my e-mails this morning, I see my birthday greetings continue. The first e-mail I opened was from my longtime friend (from 3rd grade elementary school when we used to trade comic books), Larry. Larry is one of the most inventive and artistic people that I have known in my lifetime. It has always puzzled me why his artistic talent wasn't discovered long ago. In my mind Lar (as we who know him well call him - he also goes by the non de plume of "LEM") should have been as rich an famous as a Steve Allen. A writer, poet, artist and all around bon vivant. With Lar's permission (and credit given to him) this is a copy of the e-mail I received from LAR:














Happy Birthday and thanks for sharing so many of your years with me between that first yesterday and that last future today.

Speak of the good days
And all the good timesQuickly.
Time marches on.
Drink the fine vine.
Lift up your cup, be drunk!
The grape was a good year.
Drink long and deeply sample.
The grand year is nearly drank.
Reminisce good timesOver our good wines.
All the good times, if they were,They are less dead.
The good times are memories
In the drinking of elder men,
As if they exist.Exactly as if they were.
May we have good times the rest of the times left us.
Larry


I'll drink to that!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the latest new song you added to the play-list.

    Now it's my turn to add my birthday on the 26th of this month to yours - you're 17 days older than me....

    I'm an 'old geezer' too????

    I see you had a great day - nice!

    Caught up on reading all your blogs now. Enjoy the week - today is the 233rd anniversary of the Marines, so my husband and I are going out to celebrate his 20 years of service.

    Tomorrow we'll go out again - Veteran's Day - I'll send my thanks to you as well since I know you served our country in the Army. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to change your banner to read '67 years'....not 66 (smile). Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousin Kevin in SF1:52 AM

    Is it too late to wish you a happy birthday?

    Well, happy birthday anyway!

    I'm so happy to have found you and Tim! Have a fantastic year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin,
    No, it's never to late to wish your cousin a happy birthday! I'm glad I found you (and Tim)to. If you're ever in the Rehoboth Beach area, please join us at the Parrot on Sunday night about 5:30. All are welcome. No reservations needed. We're all family! By the way, I just opened an account on Ancestry.com. I'll send you a link. It's pretty cool. When you have a chance, send your tree to me and I'll add it to the big tree!
    Take care cousin,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete