Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Rose Is A Rose




How does the saying go? "A rose is a rose is a rose?" What does that mean? I don't know. Maybe it means "It is what it is." Perhaps I started this blog with a rose as a subject because I wanted an excuse to showoff my rose picture. Yes folks, that is a picture of took of one of my roses yesterday. Thus, there is no reason to change my opening song on this blog, "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You." For years and years I have attempted to grow roses with little success. Either they didn't grow or they were attacked by black spot and finished off by the Japanese beetles. Well, the Japanese beetles are in full force here this year. For the past week I've been picking them off and squashing them (not a pleasant task but necessary) on the brick base underneath my water faucet. It doesn't take too long until the ants take them away. I don't feel so bad now because the eco system is working. The rose pictured on this blog is a small rose bush tucked in between my larger Knockout Rose bush (under heavy attack by the Japanese beetles) and a pineapple sage bush on the other side of it. For some reason the Japanese beetles haven't attacked this rose. Maybe it's the color that doesn't attract them. The bright red Knockout roses draw the beetles like a matador's red cape attracts the raging bull. Some say Japanese beetles are attracted by the sweet aroma of the rose. I don't know about that because this rose has the delicate, heady, sweet smell reminiscent of a beautiful woman; gentle breezes caressing her smooth skin. The beauty of the rose is like the beauty of the woman (Hedy Lamarr) whose picture I have used in this blog. Timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment