Sunday, July 06, 2008

The Fourth




Another year and the "Fourth" is here already. The "Fourth" refers to the Fourth of July celebration. Living near the resort community of Rehoboth Beach, the "Fourth" only means one thing.....stay out of Rehoboth! On Wednesday, on our way to lunch at Zorba's Restaurant on Route 1 in Rehoboth Beach, Bill and I noticed the deluge had begun. The "deluge" refers to the almost solid mass of vehicles descending on Rehoboth Beach and points south (Dewey Beach, Bethaney Beach and Ocean City, Maryland) on Route 1. We live six miles north on the east side of Route 1 in a Ryan Homes development called Covington Chase. I deliberately chose this location to avoid the summertime traffic headaches on Route 1. Wise choice. Each year I am reminded of my wisdom when I witness the wave after wave of cars, trucks and motorcycles heading south for fun in the sun. Located as I am on the east side of Route 1, I can witness but not participate in this annual ritual of the lemmings headlong rush to the resort towns on the Delmarva penisula. From now until well after Labor Day, downtown Rehoboth Beach is off limits to many of us year round residents. Parking, when you can find it, is expensive. Service at the restuarants, when you can find it, is sporadic at best. Since I'm not a beachgoer, there is no earthly reason for me to venture into the circus that is now downtown Rehoboth Beach. While I'm thankful for the revenue these summertime visitors leave in the area, thus supplying jobs for the locals, I'm still glad when summer is over and life can go back to normal. I am reminded of a Labor Day weekend many years ago when I vacationed in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I overheard one of the waitstaff say in the restaurant, where friends and I were dining, say "Thank God this is the last weekend THEY are here and we can have our town back." At the time I thought "How rude." Now I understand. Oh I do understand.

3 comments:

  1. Hi - I'll comment on the last 2 entries here.

    We go through the same 'deluge', except ours starts around Labor Day, and lasts until the following year (Mother's Day). Then everyone leaves because it's so darned hot!

    I love Hedy Lamar; not only her beauty, but her acting. She and her sister (Vivian Leigh) - both so lovely.

    Like the updated music....

    The traffic looks like this going to and from Palm Desert if you're coming over from Laguna Beach where we used to live.

    You had to 'time it' - if you drove at 4:00 a.m., you could breeze right along. If you waited until after 9:00 a.m., you'd be 6 hours doing what took 2.

    I'm always amazed that people will sit in that miserable 'line', when they know it's going to be a long wait.

    We'd go to South Haven from Kalamazoo years back; again it was all about 'timing' - glad I'm an early riser, so I can get 'On The Road Again' and beat those late-sleepers.

    We drove over to see REO Speedwagon perform; it was good to hear them (and see them) after about 30 years since they were much younger, and live in Cincinnati.

    They still can get it going, and keep it going.

    It's a good reminder that we should take care of our health, but always make music a key part of our daily life - it really gets the spirit psyched up, and the blood moving (for me anyway).

    Regards, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we on the same wavelength or else? Do you know whose picture I initially put on this blog? Vivien Leigh! I couldn't find one that was suitable enough so that is why I put my all time favorite Hedy Lamarr. She was always my favorite for beauty and acting. I first saw her in "Samson and Deliah" when I was 10 years old. I've always felt a special connection to Hedy. It wasn't until about 10 years ago I discovered that we shared the same birthday, November 9th! Talk about karma. Off to work today after a week layoff. I hope to catch up on my e-mails tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, on top of 'same wave length', my poem about RUBBER BANDS is on both the Ron sails away blog I did for you, and on my http://poeticjustismine.blogspot.com. Now that is 'spooky'....

    Diane

    ReplyDelete