Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dermatologist?






Yesterday I discovered one of the few downsides living in the southern most county in Delaware. I needed to see a dermatologist to check a skin condition on the side of my neck. I have a history of actinic keratosis. While this is not cancerous, it could become cancerous. I have a history of skin cancer in my family. My next scheduled appointment with the VA in Wilmington is in November (I'm checked annually.) Now that I have Medicare Part B and AARP supplemental insurance I can choose any doctor that I want. At least that is the myth perpetuated by those who opposed government health care. Yesterday, I called the first of four dermatologists listed in the local phone book. The first dermatologist was not accepting new patients until October! The next two aren't accepting patients at all. The fourth office of the dermatologist told me that they weren't accepting new patients until September. Now remember, I live on the eastern coast of Delaware, in a beach resort area. NO DERMATOLOGISTS! Such is the state of health care in this country. So much for choosing your own doctor. Now I have a call into the VA. The VA provides excellent health care for me but I do have to jump through a lot of hoops and appointments take some time to keep because of the shortage of doctors at the VA. In a way, I'm glad I'm at the end of my life instead of starting out. I can remember back to the days of my childhood when doctors made house calls and medical expenses were affordable. While this country has made great advances in medical care it is not available to many of us, even people like me who have what amounts to double medical care.

1 comment:

  1. Most of our dermatologists today must know the best dermatological surgery that will help us with our skin problems.
    Dermatologist Conroe TX

    ReplyDelete