Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mortified




This morning I arose from my slumber at about 7 AM. As I sleepily stumbled into the kitchen, my partner tells me “The Inn called.” I thought “who isn’t coming in today?” I work two days a week (Monday and Thursday nights) and every other weekend, once during the day and once during the evening, in order to give the two fulltime front desk clerks at least one weekend a month off. Sometimes I’m called in on short notice to fill in for one of the other front desk clerks due to illness or another different emergency. This morning I assumed I got the call to come in and fill in for someone. I called my voice mail. The owner of the Inn left me the message “Where are you?” Quickly, I look to my calendar. Yep! I was due in today! How did that happen? I thought I had a fail safe method for recording the times I was due in for work. I checked the copy of the schedule the manager gives me. I keep that on top of my bedroom bureau where I conduct almost all of my business. There it was in black and white. “Ron – Sunday morning, May 18th". Quickly, I pick up the phone and called the owner. I told him it was my mistake and that I would be in as soon as I got dressed. He told me the manager was covering for me until I got in. Now I’m really embarrassed. The manager’s wife recently had a baby and this was the first week home for mother and child and husband. Ron, the OLD MAN, changed those plans today. Faster than Clark Kent changed into his Superman costume, I was dressed and ready to shoot out the door. I didn’t have breakfast, didn’t do my morning exercises, nor did I take my fiber medicine. I will be off track all day, that’s for sure. Route 1 traffic was light. The morning mist was lifting from New Road. I pull into the parking lot of the Inn. I gather myself and go around to the front door. Walking through the lobby and down the corridor to the front desk I see the owner and the manager waiting for me with bemused looks on their faces. This is something they’ve never seen before. This is something I’ve never done before. In all my 60 plus years of work, I have never missed a schedule. Well, there are always Firsts. This was a very humbling experience for me. Now I will be oh so more tolerant of anyone else I know who oversleeps or misses the schedule completely as I did today. I accepted all responsibility and told them I just missed it. I had even brought in my wall calendar and schedule to show them I had not marked the shift on my calendar. No excuse. Later, as I was talking to the head housekeeper, she told me that whenever she is late her whole day is not right. That was the way I felt all day, off track. To put it simply, I was mortified.

2 comments:

  1. His eye is on the sparrow
    And I know He watches me (He watches me)
    His eye is on the sparrow
    And I know, He watches me
    He watches me
    He watches
    I know
    He watches me

    And while he is watching you, you need to be watching your schedule. Ah, a grand senior moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - and didn't I comment on your SPARROW entry about that 'eye'....(smile).

    You flew into the eye of the storm; you handled it well - we shall just call you 'Mortimer' and be done with it. DS

    ReplyDelete